Joystick port problem

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Joystick port problem

Post by Ghislain »

A problem has recently surfaced wtih my VIC-20... it appears that in some games, the player will start moving right by itself, with or without pushing the joystick to the right, and it even happens if there is no joystick plugged in! I understand that the VIC-20 is almost 25 years old now and that such problems were eventually bound to happen, but I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem and how they fixed it?

The games that this problem occurs on are:

Avenger
Colorbot (type-in game from COMPUTE!'s Gazette)
Pitfall (my version of the Atari 2600 game for the VIC-20)

The problem does not occur on the following games:

Gorf
Serpentine

It's funny that the problem does not occur if the screen border is not black. I'll have to keep testing. Maybe I'll have to buy another VIC?
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

O.k. I DEMAND to see this pitfall! Even a screenshot. Just the thought is amazing to me. I love cross-platform stuff! I am excited to hear someone has tried this.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Jeff-20 wrote:O.k. I DEMAND to see this pitfall! Even a screenshot. Just the thought is amazing to me. I love cross-platform stuff! I am excited to hear someone has tried this.
I'll have to upload it to a PC with my StarCommander cable. But it will take some time to do this, as I need a computer that has Windows 98 to do this. I used to have a geocities page with some of my vic-20 games but I lost it. I actually had 2 versions of pitfall that I made: "Pitfall!" and "Vicfall!".

If I let you see Pitfall!, would you be able to show us your version of Vic Windows 95 and/or Mortal Vikbat? ;)

As for my joystick port problem, I decided to learn to live with it. It appears that most people have problems with their VIC-20s in some form or another. Maybe it will eventually go away?
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

If you make a copy of the media, no problem to sling it over to me (although I am in the UK) to transfer across (fully cabled to the MAX here for transfer of anything... all hail the powerful 486 of doom!).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Post by Guest »

Here is a digicam picture of my version of Pitfall! (made in 1993--I was a retrogamer back then before it was cool to be a retrogamer)

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:shock: fuggin awesome... (tear to the eye) I... must... play...

I love the activision parody logo at the bottom of the screen.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

So, will Ghislain port The Last Ninja to VIC-20 too? (System 3 rather than System 4).
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I wanna see Tomb Raider!