Custom Character calculator program

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Custom Character calculator program

Post by ral-clan »

Hi, on the main page of DENIAL there is shown sometimes a program that looks like a designer's aid for making custom characters. It has a grid for plotting pixels and then calculates the values for the data statements.

Is there anywhere I can get a program like this that will run on an NTSC VIC-20?
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Schlowski wrote:Maybe my LCE?

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=782

Björg
Oh yeah, that's the one on the main DENIAL page. But I see the programmer is from Germany, which probably means PAL and not useable on a real NTSC VIC-20.... :cry:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's only programs that changes screen position in a stupid way, rely on the raster beam or on exact sound frequencies that are incompatible between PAL/NTSC.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

...or that makes use of the NTSC interlace mode...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

...or exact calculation speed ;)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am just so glad that people are looking at the front page. In celebration, I'm going to add more pics. :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:...or exact calculation speed ;)
Yeah, but don't PAL VIC-20s have more horizontal character rows than NTSC VICs?

That's why I thought this program would be incompatible: some of the lines of the screen would be off the bottom of my NTSC monitor.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

ral-clan wrote:Yeah, but don't PAL VIC-20s have more horizontal character rows than NTSC VICs?

That's why I thought this program would be incompatible: some of the lines of the screen would be off the bottom of my NTSC monitor.
No, only more raster lines, which makes no difference in this case.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Definately from Germany and PAL, it's from me :-)

But since I do not change anything regarding screen resolution or position it should be no problem at all on NTSC - just tested it on VICE in NTSC and worked very well (as I expected).

So, I'm off for a week so I won't answer any questions but since Greyghost has used LCE a lot I think it is now as flawless as I am able to program :lol:

Björg
Schema
factor

Re: Custom Character calculator program

Post by Schema »

ral-clan wrote:Hi, on the main page of DENIAL there is shown sometimes a program that looks like a designer's aid for making custom characters. It has a grid for plotting pixels and then calculates the values for the data statements.

Is there anywhere I can get a program like this that will run on an NTSC VIC-20?
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... .php?t=892
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

yep, probably the best one i've used so far.
Rob