How to change cursor position?

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

How to change cursor position?

Post by adric22 »

I'm having a heck of a time finding this with google. On the C64 there are two locations I can POKE for X,Y coordinates and then execute a SYS command and it will plant the cursor in a particular place for the next print statement. I can't seem to locate the equivalent on the VIC-20. Can somebody help?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Not recalling if I used this myself, but in Programmer's Reference Guide of user callable kernal routines:

PLOT Read/set X,Y cursor position @ $FFF0 (65520)

I believe X = rows, Y = cols in this case, and zero based.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Aren't those kernal calls just the same as on the c64?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Maybe the "poke" locations of the A X Y registers before a SYS isn't?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Boray wrote:Maybe the "poke" locations of the A X Y registers before a SYS isn't?
You know what.. I bet you are right.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I just checked the PRG for each machine, and the memory locations are the same for each.

POKE781,X:POKE782,Y:SYS65520

The only difference is that (X,Y) is (column,row) on the VIC (sensible) and (row,column) on the C64 (stupid). Of course that could be a typo.
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

Kweepa wrote:I just checked the PRG for each machine, and the memory locations are the same for each.

POKE781,X:POKE782,Y:SYS65520

The only difference is that (X,Y) is (column,row) on the VIC (sensible) and (row,column) on the C64 (stupid). Of course that could be a typo.
I bet it is a typo because the last time I used that on the C64, I noticed the X and Y were backwards from what was documented.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

So, can I ask something?

If you put the above line between two print statements the program would print the first statement in the top left as normal and then the second line would print wherever X and Y are?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by adric22 »

If you put the above line between two print statements the program would print the first statement in the top left as normal and then the second line would print wherever X and Y are?
Correct. usually this is much faster than trying to have some kind of loop using cursor movements if you need a dynamic way to move things around on the screen.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Cool. Thank you. :)

I am incredibly bad at programming and have always put cursor key presses in my print statements as I knew of no other way. POKEing just has to run faster than that!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Alternatively you could use the TAB() function combined with a home made function for the y pos:

Code: Select all

10 L$="{home}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}{down}"
20 PRINT LEFT$(L$,12)TAB(11)"HELLO"
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Or maybe this is smaller:

10 L$="{home}":FORT=1TO22:L$=L$+"{down}":NEXT
20 PRINT LEFT$(L$,12)TAB(11)"HELLO"
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Splitted the following discussion to a new thread:
"Garbage Collect (splitted)"
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... hp?p=67886
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but here's my simple solution:

1 PRINT SPC(22*Y) SPC(X);
Works for me.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Jeff-20 wrote:Maybe I am misunderstanding the question, but here's my simple solution:

1 PRINT SPC(22*Y) SPC(X);
Works for me.
Oh, so it does! I thought SPC printed a real space. So it seems TAB and SPC is the same function then.
Last edited by Boray on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.