The new Vic 20 - VicPlus (to be released in 2011)

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Athlor
Vic 20 Drifter

Blown away by the Vic Slim

Post by Athlor »

I will buy the Vic Slim as I was already considering a new more efficient PC to connect to my 52" TV. I think this model parallels the original Vic-20 in many ways. One obviously is that I'll be using it connected to a TV. :D
But another way it parallels the original is how everything is built into the keyboard, even speakers, and the way it will rely on USB for expansion, similar to daisy-chaining. I already have a USB DVD-writer and external harddrive, which I keep my movies on.
Being a Commodore just makes the whole thing that much sweeter. It's as though it was made for me, to me it's perfect.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VicSlim.aspx
JJ Abrams Star Trek: Boldly going where we've already been...
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I can write Vic20 even to my toaster, but it doesnt make it Vic20 or C64 either :P
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Of course not. :)
Remember Commodore Gaming? There are a lot worse things that could be done with the Commodore name.
I think we're all clear that the only thing this "new Commodore 64" shares with the old breadbox is the form factor. I would have loved it if CUSA would have gone the DTV route, but based on the response this project is generating, not everyone feels the same. And if CUSA had marketed a custom ASIC/FPGA C64/Vic20, it probably would be only 99.8% compatible with the original, and then none of the hardcore Commodore fans would be satisfied still. :P
At least they're making an attempt, however poorly, to mimic the experience of a real Commodore 64 with the fast boot into an emualtor option.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

At least they're making an attempt, however poorly, to mimic the experience of a real Commodore 64 with the fast boot into an emulator option.
Well put.

Someday, I myself will build one from an emptied C64C shell and attempt to put a fanless mini-ATX in it that does a fast-boot into a barebones Linux environment running VICE SDL for VIC20, C64, and even C128 -- since they all can use the same keymap layout, though I will need a KeyRAH. I already have a ZoomFloppy and a sweet pair of Atari joystick ports to a USB adapter too -- this will allow for attaching a real C= floppy drive and joysticks to go along with the real keyboard.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
justarb
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by justarb »

Wilson wrote:At least they're making an attempt, however poorly, to mimic the experience of a real Commodore 64 with the fast boot into an emualtor option.
Rubbish! They aren't making any real attempt at anything except exploiting the Commodore name and the recent rise in the popularity of retrocomputing. I'm sorry, but there is nothing in the CUSA line-up that has any connection to the Commodore I know and love apart from the names and some of the case styles.
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

justarb wrote: Rubbish! They aren't making any real attempt at anything except exploiting the Commodore name and the recent rise in the popularity of retrocomputing.
They are attempting to provide an experience closer to a real C64 with an alternate boot into an emulator. That's not in question. Whether their intentions are good or not is a separate debate.
justarb wrote:I'm sorry, but there is nothing in the CUSA line-up that has any connection to the Commodore I know and love apart from the names and some of the case styles.
Don't apologize. That's exactly what I said:
I wrote:I think we're all clear that the only thing this "new Commodore 64" shares with the old breadbox is the form factor.
@rhurst Sounds cool! 8) That would be very impressive considering the size of the C64C. I've been bouncing ideas around my head for a somewhat similar project for way too long. Incidentally, the thing that always stopped me was the original Commodore keyboards, which I don't find particularly enjoyable to type on. So I'm crossing my fingers that CUSA's Alps keyboards turn out well. :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.