Will a C64 video cable work with a VIC 20?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

nama
Vic 20 Drifter

Will a C64 video cable work with a VIC 20?

Post by nama »

I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _500wt_922

and was wondering if it would work with my VIC?

Phil
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

This is not clear.

I have two cables. On cable works for my C64 and my VIC and the other cable does only work for my C64. It was a surprise for me, but it is sure, I have checked this many times.

This shop sells cable explicit for VIC-20. The shop is good, I often bought CBM accessories: click
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

There are two pins on the vic-20 video port outputting video: video high and video low. On c64, there is just one (the same pin as vic-20's video low). On most vic-20's these two pins outputs the same signal. So I guess it depends on your vic-20.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I'm not sure though if there exists vic-20's with two different video signals. I think we maybe came to the conclusion here on Denial once that there wasn't.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Diddl wrote:This is not clear.

I have two cables. On cable works for my C64 and my VIC and the other cable does only work for my C64. It was a surprise for me, but it is sure, I have checked this many times.
That sounds strange. It would be more logical if it was the same with both cables.
nama
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by nama »

I just got a reply from the auction seller...he/she says that it will work with the VIC...not sure it thats trust worthy info though. Sellers usually just want to sell.

Thanks for a link to thats site, however I can't read it :-(
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

The 5-pin cable should work for both C64 and VIC, whereas the 8-pin cable with separate luma and chroma works only for the C64 (also, it doesn't fit in the VIC). So, what happened to Diddl sounds quite strange.

See also HERE, HERE, and HERE. :wink:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Indeed... my answer is what Orion put.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Just type "commodore vic 20" in the eBay search engine and you'll get a whole host of sellers with either AV or scart leads that are compatible with the Vic.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I got mine from eBay. It is a five pin din version. In the advert it stated that it works on VIC 20 and C64. I can't say if it works on a C64 or not, as I've never tried (I don't have one), but it certainly works on my VIC 20. When I first tried it I was disappointed by the picture being grainy, all I had to do was change my TV EXT output from TV to Monitor, and it was crystal clear. Not sure if all TVs need that or not, haven't tried it on my portable yet.