WIP: revisiting Ten Ten

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

e5frog wrote: Can't find anything to download from here after this message.
Oh, sorry. I kept making so many minor changes, I stopped updating. The basic gameplay is the same as last draft. I only added a few hidden features (like freezing the program if the cassette key is pressed or disabling case-switching).

The 3k version will be identical with brief text intermissions between levels. I'm making it for a specific art project.

Do you have anything else you'd like to see? I'm questioning the difficulty and color choice for every third level. I can't think of any more play variations at the moment.

I also tried background music, but it got really annoying after a while.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok, here's a draft. Can you notice anything different?

I made one visual change that saved 2 bytes and sped up the program by, like, 0.005%. But I may likely revert if it doesn't look right.
DOWNLOAD.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:Can you notice anything different?
The timer counter now is 6 pixels wide, neatly aligned to the level dots below; rather than 8 pixels like in the previous versions. ;)

One other thing ... in the original version, there had been the caption 'PARALLEL UNIVERSE' in the title screen. Somehow I miss that ...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mike wrote:The timer counter now is 6 pixels wide, neatly aligned to the level dots below; rather than 8 pixels like in the previous versions. ;)
Is that better? Or just different?
Mike wrote: One other thing ... in the original version, there had been the caption 'PARALLEL UNIVERSE' in the title screen. Somehow I miss that ...
I liked it too, but I felt pressured to remove it. Some people asked me if that was part of the title.
I did feel like it slowed down the start up a little, so I removed it to save memory. I only have 24 bytes free right now. Still looking for spots to cram. Maybe I can find room to add it again.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok, here's a new version with the "parallel universe" in it. DOWNLOAD. But it should crash just before the game play starts because it's just slightly out of memory. I removed the case disable and cassette play button check to make room for it. If I can find a few more bytes, it's back in.

But now that I see it, it seems a little gratuitous. I'm gonna see if anyone else has an opinion, but I think I want to leave it out. The sound effect takes enough time.
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Very nice game, I liked the "parallel universe" text...
My other interest: http://channelf.se
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Jeff-20 wrote:Ok, here's a new version with the "parallel universe" in it. DOWNLOAD. But it should crash just before the game play starts because it's just slightly out of memory. I removed the case disable and cassette play button check to make room for it. If I can find a few more bytes, it's back in.

But now that I see it, it seems a little gratuitous. I'm gonna see if anyone else has an opinion, but I think I want to leave it out. The sound effect takes enough time.
I like it but I won't miss it. Maybe just make it appear after the sound/ten-ten-logo? It does seem to take "too long" after having played the last version and not noticing its absence.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

It seems like you should get more points for the time you have left when you complete a round... right now, it looks like you get points for each "ball" you've acquired (which really is necessary for advancing to the next round), so it's like I'm getting points for something I have to do anyway. Or am I wrong?
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Also: 241 high score :-) \o/

Died on level 6.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

saehn wrote:It seems like you should get more points for the time you have left when you complete a round... right now, it looks like you get points for each "ball" you've acquired (which really is necessary for advancing to the next round), so it's like I'm getting points for something I have to do anyway. Or am I wrong?
Points are prorated based on how much time is on the timer. So, you can get 17 points for making a goal right away at the start of a level. You may only get one point for getting a goal just before the timer hits zero. You get 15 points (5 per goal) as a bonus for finishing a level.

I'm going to take out the Parallel thing in the next version.

Great high score!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Any new Ten-Ten releases today? Look at the date! 10-10-10
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I'm updating Mega-Cart firmware and I'm glad to update Ten-Ten with a new version, do you think to release a final version ?

If you release a 3K version, there is the possibility to save hi-scores on Mega-Cart NV-RAM for mega-cart users, please contact me if you want to add this feature.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Yes! I am working on a 3k version with some text. I've been thinking about making it Black and White (instead of the current Red and Blue). What do you think?
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:Yes! I am working on a 3k version with some text. I've been thinking about making it Black and White (instead of the current Red and Blue). What do you think?
I prefer current colors btw in a 3k version you may add an option to use both.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok, are you ready for this? So, today I'm in class* and I decided to throw together an experimental version of Ten Ten. . . . in 3D!

I'm not really into modern programming, but I was in a lab that had the software running. It was a good way to avoid writing a research paper. Hahaha

*I'm back in school again. I got into a really good grad program, and this will probably be my last degree, number 5. So, I may as well enjoy it and have fun!)

I managed to pretty much make the whole game without the random maze function (just one preset maze). The characters were prefab. They look like dorks, and the game play suffers in absence of a VIC.

I used UNITY. If the lab had paid for the full license, I could have ported this to the iPhone! I wouldn't. I really think it's only fun in 2D.