Get your own Mega-Cart NOW !

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Considering that word of the Mega-Cart hasn't even really got around too much yet, the volume of orders is pretty respectable (over 60 in about a week).
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

AmiDog wrote:Just placed an order for one unit. Happy, happy, joy, joy :D
Thank you.
ral-clan wrote:Considering that word of the Mega-Cart hasn't even really got around too much yet, the volume of orders is pretty respectable (over 60 in about a week).
Yes i agree, 65 Mega-Carts ordered after just 5 days is not too bad :wink:

PS: It's really fun to have contact page in the Mega-Cart site, i've received some interesting questions never heard before and from non denial members too, i've invited them to visit Denial of course :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

carlsson wrote:For anyone who doesn't have an obsessive interest in the VIC-20, I believe anything more than $30-40 (i.e. the price range of the Behr Bonz) will make them think twice before ordering.
Very true, Anders.
carlsson wrote:Apparently the decision what money is worth is highly individual.
Yes, to each, his own.
carlsson wrote:Some people will gladly spend $1000 and beyond on a new plasma TV, which I find is a complete waste of money. In my world, a brand new TV should cost no more than $400, max $500 if it is a very good one.
Hey, that's my world, too! :)

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

RobertBe wrote:
carlsson wrote:Some people will gladly spend $1000 and beyond on a new plasma TV, which I find is a complete waste of money. In my world, a brand new TV should cost no more than $400, max $500 if it is a very good one.
Hey, that's my world, too! :)
It's all relative to the size of the television. $500 would be too much for a 19" screen, but I'd be wary of a 46" screen costing only $500.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I don't have room or use for a 46" anyway. Somewhere around 28" is big enough for me. At most 32" wide screen but it would be a stretch.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

carlsson wrote:I don't have room or use for a 46" anyway. Somewhere around 28" is big enough for me. At most 32" wide screen but it would be a stretch.
Do bear in mind that the overall surface area of a 32" wide screen is less than that of a 32" 4:3 aspect ratio television, meaning you can usually go with a larger wide screen to fit the same vertical space as a full screen. Also, given a standard 4:3 signal, the picture area on a 32" wide screen approximates a 26" full screen TV. On the other hand, given a 16:10 image, the image area on a 32" full screen is close to that of a 30" wide screen.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
stonan
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by stonan »

carlsson wrote:I don't have room or use for a 46" anyway.
Fool yourself Carlsson :wink:
The entire living room wall is free
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

DigitalQuirk wrote:Also, given a standard 4:3 signal, the picture area on a 32" wide screen approximates a 26" full screen TV.
I was using the rule of thumb that a 32" wide flatscreen was the same as a 20" fullscreen, and a 37" wide flatscreen was the same as a 27" fullscreen.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore/Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org/
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

RobertBe wrote: I was using the rule of thumb that a 32" wide flatscreen was the same as a 20" fullscreen, and a 37" wide flatscreen was the same as a 27" fullscreen.
Here's a handy calculator that I found useful when comparing:

http://www.tvcalculator.com/

Of course, it's all dependent on whether you're going to be watching widescreen or full screen signals. If you're watching 16:9 signal on a 32" 16:9 widescreen TV, you would need a 35" full-screen TV to attain the same image area. On the other hand, when it comes to a full screen 4:3 image, one would need a 39" wide screen to attain the same image area as a 32" full screen.

Clearly, full screens make better utilization of the screen area for both types of signals; but since movies tend to be wide screen and broadcasters are now broadcasting in wide screen HD, I honestly think wide screen is the best way to go for a new TV.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

stonan wrote:The entire living room wall is free
Uh.. no, I have pictures on the walls and furniture along the floor. But the point is I use the living room TV perhaps once a week or less, mostly when I play some Sega Megadrive (Genesis) games.
Anders Carlsson

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Just to remain on the thread's topic i've updated the download section of the mega-cart site.

You may download a data disk image for 1541/1571/1581 drives with Carlsson's additional menu tunes (very good work Anders :D ), you need to copy disk images to a real drive of course.

There is an explanation on how to select a tune from a data disk, btw is very simple, if possible i will add a new tutorial video section too with common Mega-Cart operations as backup/restore preferences, manage custom early items, select a tune from a data disk and other things...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Of course others are welcome to contribute songs too, as long as they use the same player format. I once described how it works, but I'm unsure if anyone else besides me ever got as far as putting together a song. Perhaps I should make a YouTube Masterclass how I do it. :-)
Anders Carlsson

geoff0876
Vic 20 Drifter

:)

Post by geoff0876 »

i was on vacation while the mega-cart site went up for ordering... the first thing when i got home was to check and order one! ...anxiously awaiting for it
Vic 20 / C64 / Atari 2600 / N64 / Gyruss / Gorf / Elevator Action
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: :)

Post by nbla000 »

geoff0876 wrote:the first thing when i got home was to check and order one!
Thank you, it was received and already confirmed to you.

I've added a new site's section, Tutorial Video:
http://www.mega-cart.com/tutorial-video/

At the moment there is just one tutorial, Use the Mega-Cart like a "simple" memory expander:
http://www.mega-cart.com/use-the-mega-c ... -expander/

In the next days i will add other tutorial videos, enjoy yourself :wink: