PAL Channels?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

PAL Channels?

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've only known the VIC to work on channel 3 or 4. Unlike the Atari 2600 (on channel 2 or 3).

What other channels were used outside of the US?

Channel 16??? :?

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

In the UK the Vic20 operates around channel 36-38, which is what the C64 would use also.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Someone has marked "CH 36" on my VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yep, almost all PAL home computers and video games operate on UHF channel 36 or thereabouts. I'm not sure about the Atari 2600 though, but I've noticed the Intellivision operates on channel 2-3 even in PAL which in my eyes would make it an oddity.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Most RF based equipment here used the range 36-38. Which is why when Channel 5 launched ten years ago (on channel 36) they had to send people round to retune VCRs and the such to avoid interference. Of course most modern VCRs allow you to choose the RF out channel...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

And in my part of Sweden channel 36 is apparently used for digital TV broadcasts so it's impossible to get a good picture from the RF out on any old computers. Doesn't really matter to me since I use composite or C/L out, but it may be a problem for some people.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I don't understand. Does your antenna cable from the computer pick up digital aerial signals which scrambles the picture, or is it the TV that has a built-in digital receiver you can't disable? In the first case, have you tried to get/build a shielded antenna cable?
Anders Carlsson

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

carlsson wrote:I don't understand. Does your antenna cable from the computer pick up digital aerial signals which scrambles the picture, or is it the TV that has a built-in digital receiver you can't disable? In the first case, have you tried to get/build a shielded antenna cable?
It's the first case, so I suppose you're right about the solution. I'm not even sure that the description of the problem is correct; it's the answer I got from someone on the net several years ago when I sked why I couldn't get decent reception on my TV from my C64. I solved the problem by building composite, RGB, or L/C cables for all my vintage computers, which give a better picture than RF anyway. After I got a 1084S monitor the problem is moot.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Schema
factor

Re: PAL Channels?

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:Channel 16??? :?
In Germany, I seem to recall that you could assign the channel #s on some TVs to any frequency you chose. So "Channel 16" might just be the one assigned the same frequency as (say) Channel 2 elsewhere.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Don't all TV tuners work that way?!? Over here we distinguish the frequency from the program place. In the old days the frequency was denoted as VHF 2-4, VHF 5-12 UHF 21-69 or Super channels 80+ but nowadays measured in 40-1000 MHz. You use the remote to flip between program places (channels) which are preset to different frequencies. Do your TVs work in another way? I always thought Channel 3-4 equals VHF 3-4 but perhaps not.
Anders Carlsson