Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Schema wrote:Jeff, did you know 7-11 is actually a Japanese company? I visited many a 7-11 in Japan (especially Tokyo) when I was there last year, especially for breakfast. I was really surprised they didn't do Slurpees there. But the breakfast pastry things were very yummy.
After this thread 7-11 thread started yesterday I read up on it on Wikipedia. I guess that it started in the US (Texas) but is now owned by the Japanese.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Schema wrote:Jeff, did you know 7-11 is actually a Japanese company?
Just so there's no confusion, it is NOW a Japanese company. It started in the 20's in Texas as an offshoot of an ice company and yes, the name is because the stores were open from 7am until 11pm (which was unheard of at the time.) It wasn't until the 60's that they started keeping some stores open 24 hours and the rest, as they say, is history.

Did you know they're the world's largest chain? They have more outlets than McDonald's.

Edit: I made my post before reading ral-clan's so I apologize for some of the repetition of facts.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Schema wrote:Jeff, did you know 7-11 is actually a Japanese company? I visited many a 7-11 in Japan (especially Tokyo) when I was there last year, especially for breakfast. I was really surprised they didn't do Slurpees there. But the breakfast pastry things were very yummy.
Ah, butter-filled pastry was my favorite breakfast. However, I preferred Lawsons (the other 7-11 type chain).
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Laner
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Laner »

Centallica wrote:Welcome Tony and Lane!! :D

Come by often and chat with us all 8)

Remember to put your location in your profile so we know where you're from too :wink:
Vic40
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Vic40 »

Came up with my username, Vic40, quite simply as I have recently hit 40 years of age. Vic-40 was also an early name for the C64 not that I ever succumbed to upgrading from my Vic-20.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the landmark Birthday but I find myself getting all nostalgic for the times I spent programming the Vic in the early eighties and after a trip back to my parents over Christmas I now have my original Vic-20 back in my possession (thank goodness my Father never throws anything out!). Even better it is still working apart from the cassette deck will save programs but won't load them back again.

Once I have a means of storage I will be looking to program it again - now with the help of my six year old son who seemed amazed at the Vic-20 as I was all those years ago (unlike his eleven year old sister who was most unimpressed). Will definitely need some help so expect some questions from me on some of the other forums. Having said that it was amazing how it all came back to me so quickly in the little ten line demo that I put together for my son - from somewhere I managed to remember the screen address 7680 after a gap of over twenty years.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Welcome Vic-40 to the group :D

That 40 year mark does strange things to us all (I just turned 40 last year) and some can vouch I almost had my mid-life crisis come true at my last retro party by having a pair of 20 year olds (20 X 2)= 40 be hostesses in rather provocative circumstances... :shock: :oops:

So nostalgic for the Vic-20 is safe, so enjoy ait nd come back and post often :D
a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

G'day from Australia.

Post by a4000bear »

I was an old-time VIC user way back in 1981 or '82. So long ago I can't remember which! I do still remember the day I bought my VIC home, I was up till 4AM typing and playing the three BASIC lisitings in the back of the user manual.

Being heavily into electronics, I did not buy a cassette unit, I modified a portable casstte recorder instead, which worked well.

My VIC was an early model, with a ceramic VIC chip, and as it warmed up I noticed any blue colours tended to smear, so I fitted a heatsink. I also did some mods to reduce vertical banding in the display. Later I converted my TV set into S-Video, and likewise modified my VIC to deliver an S-Video signal. This made an enormous difference to the picture!

I have to confess I 'jumped ship' to the C-64 when I saw one in a shop one day, not long after it was released and I then sold my VIC.

I was heavily into the C-64, to the point of even using an EPROM programmer to modify the ROMS....but thats another story. And again I jumped ship to the Amiga as soon as the A500 came out. I still use Amigas today.

Recently I was given a couple of old VICs, which are sitting in the cupboard. Looks like its time to dust them off and do some reminiscing!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Welcome a4000bear.

I'm an Amiga user (still) too. An A2000 is my machine for creative/productivity work.

As to the S-Video hack on your VIC, if you can remember ANYTHING about how to do that, I'm sure many of us here would be excited to hear about it. The poor video on the VIC (especially the banding/moire interference) has always been a bit of a letdown on an otherwise well designed system.

Perhaps you could post something in the hardware discussion section.
a4000bear
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by a4000bear »

ral-clan wrote:Welcome a4000bear.

I'm an Amiga user (still) too. An A2000 is my machine for creative/productivity work.

As to the S-Video hack on your VIC, if you can remember ANYTHING about how to do that, I'm sure many of us here would be excited to hear about it. The poor video on the VIC (especially the banding/moire interference) has always been a bit of a letdown on an otherwise well designed system.

Perhaps you could post something in the hardware discussion section.
I have lost count how many Amigas I have, however, I still use some of them regularly, most of them are A4000s.

As for the VIC-20 S-Video mod, I have done it to one of my VICs, I'll need to dig it out and document it for you. From what I remember, its a ridiculously simple modification, though it does require soldering.
boulinha
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by boulinha »

Hi to all.

My VIC cames when I was 12, with datasette, a lot of books and some programs and games. A friend of my father sold it for us. A perfect computer in a perfect age (for starting programming and make my own games and utilities).

About my nickname...well... it's a big story. "Boulinha" is a Portugase/brazilian word that means "little ball". I'm Spanish, not portugase, but when I was child my friends called me "bola" (ball) and when I was 18 the same friends, playing in a Football (Soccer) team, renamed me from "bola" to "Boulinha" because it sound like a Brazilian soccer player.
JellyMonsters
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by JellyMonsters »

hi to all

as my name say i was real hooked on that game
actualy my whole family played it
sometimes when i wanted to play it i had to kick some away from my vic

i played it a few time round ofcourse where u have the fruitdish on the end :P

im a long time commodore user,i also own several c64's and amiga's

i also got all cardridges complete from commodore

bye for now :P
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I'm e5frog, real name Fredric.

I've been using the alias frog since me and my friends started a C64 and Amiga usergroup, my greatest accomplishment then was a demo called "Tegel-demo" which means Brick-Demo. I programmed it in BASIC with it's own character set on the C64... The whole demo was small one-character white men killing themselves in different ways. Looked a lot like Loadrunner but less complicated.

Well well, at that age it was either sex or violence that was interesting...

I saved the demo from an old tape not long ago, I had a whole lot of load errors but eventually manage to re-program the missing parts of the graphics and saved it to disk.

Fast forward about ten years, I started studying at Chalmers University of Technology in 1995, and got the login-name of e5frbl, which means the Electronics department of Chalmers, 1995, and the first two letters of my last name and first name... I later changed it to e5frog and that's that story.
My other interest: http://channelf.se
Progra
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Progra »

Hello all

I am Progra , real name Sandro.

The Progra is what people call me in the c64 IRC. (I use prograCEZ as my handle there, I am a member of the spanish group CEZ).

I have been coding a game for the c64 and I am thinking of porting it to other machines namely the vic20 and Plus4.

I would like to thank you Yago for helping me to enter this forum, as I tried several times and didn't manage to.

I did some test coding for the vic 20, namely a simple sprite routine. I used the 8x16 tiles but came to the conclusion I will have to use the 8x8 ones. Oh well...

Cheers
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

welcome to our forum.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

hmm......my name Luzur was stolen from some other dude on the internet some years ago when i needed a name to register on a swedish auctionsite.
Last edited by Luzur on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)