Converting PET games to VIC

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Converting PET games to VIC

Post by ral-clan »

Hi,

I have tested a bunch of 8K 40-column PET games on my VIC-20 with a 40-column board. A few of them work straight away. Most others load and partially play, but some of the graphics are messed up. Anything that POKES graphics to the screen obviously doesn't display anything. So I was wondering if anyone has any PET documentation in electronic format I could use to help convert these graphic POKES to VIC ones (or ones for my 40 column board). I will of course make available any converted games for people to download...Thanks!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hi! This is the downloadable VIC's reference guide:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... 1.1.txt.gz

and these are BASIC lessons for older PETs:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... les.lnx.gz

Also, this directory contains coverage about PET programming, memory maps &co.:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... anthology/
(see p031.jpg Memory Maps: PET/CBM BASIC 2.0/4.0 RAM and I/O; p032.jpg Memory Maps: PET/CBM BASIC 2.0/4.0 ROM Routines; p033.jpg Memory Maps: PET/CBM BASIC 2.0/4.0; Zero Page Contents p034.jpg and p035.jpg).

I'm not a programmer :oops: , but I hope this will be of help.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Isn't there a vic-20 program called "Pet Loader" or something that more or less emulates a Pet?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:Isn't there a vic-20 program called "Pet Loader" or something that more or less emulates a Pet?
I would be interested in seeing that type of program. However, I don't suspect it would help me with my project, as the Data-20 40 column board has it's own special POKES in order to get screen graphics.

Unless of course that program also does an emulation of a 40 column screen.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

just curious, but which PET games have you ported over to the 40 column vic?

i am interested in trying them out
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

vic user wrote:just curious, but which PET games have you ported over to the 40 column vic?

i am interested in trying them out
Hi!

I haven't ported any yet. I just loaded all of them into my VIC and found that a couple work already (a simple Hamurabi towers type game and a pretty good poker type game). There are a couple other games I would really like to convert like "Dungeon" (a rogue type game) and some others...I'll let you guys know how it goes (when I find time to do it :D ).