WTB: VIC-20 case and/or keyboard

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

WTB: VIC-20 case and/or keyboard

Post by cbmeeks »

I have a spare VIC-20 motherboard that needs a case and keyboard.

I'd like to buy a good keyboard if the price is right.

As for the case, a good quality one would be great but if you have one that is all beat-up, etc. I could possibly restore it. Something that I wouldn't mind painting.

Oh, I'm in the US.

Thanks!
Cat; the other white meat.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: WTB: VIC-20 case and/or keyboard

Post by English Invader »

It seems a shame that there aren't any after-market cases available for the VIC like there are for the C64 and the Amiga. It's a simple thing that could help more people put a system together.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

I totally agree.

The breadbin case is so iconic to the C64 (even though the VIC-20 had it first!) that it surprises me no one has replicated it.
Cat; the other white meat.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

cbmeeks wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:28 am I totally agree.

The breadbin case is so iconic to the C64 (even though the VIC-20 had it first!) that it surprises me no one has replicated it.
Logically, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use a C64 breadbin case for the VIC if you cut a bit of extra plastic out for the cartridge slot (everything else is identical as far as I can tell). They make cases for the Amiga that have bits of push out plastic for contemporary add-ons like a Gotek floppy emulator or USB ports; it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to make a C64 breadbin case that has a bit of push out plastic for a VIC-20 cartridge slot.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

The two different models of the VIC have motherboards of differing sizes, it wouldn't be simple to design a case that fitted both of them.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

srowe wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:33 pm The two different models of the VIC have motherboards of differing sizes, it wouldn't be simple to design a case that fitted both of them.
Even if they were only able to support the cost-reduced model VIC it would still be something.