Moderator: Moderators

ops
Vic 20 Dabbler

VICart - picture slideshow

Post by ops »

VICart is a picture a slideshow featuring
208x208 graphics mode
developed by Mike and Tokra.

VICart requires PAL VIC-20 with 24K memory expansion.

See Software Releases of 2020 for download.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VICart - picture slideshow

Post by tokra »

Nice to see someone do something with these modes Mike and me developed some 10 years ago. Did you write your own converter? Or how did you get the pictures into the VIC? Some seem to be conversions some like the Rolling Stones-logo seem to be drawn? Can you tell us more about that?

Also: Why did you choose this mode and not one of the later ones that offer better resolutions and colour-flexibility like MFLI?

Note: I could only get the D64 to work when I activated True Drive Emulation in VICE.
ops
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ops »

tokra wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:02 pm Nice to see someone do something with these modes Mike and me developed some 10 years ago. Did you write your own converter? Or how did you get the pictures into the VIC? Some seem to be conversions some like the Rolling Stones-logo seem to be drawn? Can you tell us more about that?
I adapted code from https://bisqwit.iki.fi/story/howto/dither/jy/. Some pictures, like Stones logo, I did conversion to VIC palette and then hand edited with GIMP before conversion. I must admit that was a boring sunday afternoon job.
tokra wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:02 pm
Also: Why did you choose this mode and not one of the later ones that offer better resolutions and colour-flexibility like MFLI?

Note: I could only get the D64 to work when I activated True Drive Emulation in VICE.
These two relate. A little easter quiz for you :D
ops
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ops »

... and maybe you would like to test it on a real HW.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Niiiice!
ops wrote:These two relate. A little easter quiz for you :D
The 208x208 mode leaves enough CPU time (around 24 rasters per frame) to run a IRQ "fast" loader with a CBM floppy drive. :)
ops
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ops »

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:46 pm The 208x208 mode leaves enough CPU time (around 24 rasters per frame) to run a IRQ "fast" loader with a CBM floppy drive. :)
Well done Mike :D