Pitfall for the Vic???

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

MacbthPSW wrote:Great stuff! :) After you're done it, how about Dunjon III?
Realms of Quest II used some of the elements from Dunjon II (such as the algorithm to generate the underground dungeons). If I do make a Dunjon III, it will probably be a 3D dungeon crawl with a party of 6 characters. It will be made entirely with PETSCII graphics characters. It should be a lot of fun! :)

I'm currently working on Realms of Quest III. It's really just a cleaned-up version of II (save to disk rather to tape, improved graphics, expanded world, possible background music) so I might just call it Realms of Quest 2.5 (or rather II.V).

I do plan on doing another Realms of Quest after that, a multi-loader very much like the first one, except that it will probably fill the entire side of a 170 KB floppy disk--for an unexpanded VIC-20 game, this will be HUGE. I did attempt to make a Realms of Quest II around 1992 or so, with high-res graphics. Basically, when your character encountered a monster, a 64x64 pixel graphic of a monster appeared at the top left corner of the screen (just as in Bard's Tale or Pool of Radiance for the Commodore 64). I painstakingly drew graphics for about 20 monsters. I never finished the game because the ML code for scrolling the map was very difficult for me to write at the time (I didn't have internet, my ML routines were written with my own assembler/disassembler that I programmed myself in BASIC).

I am a much better programmer for the VIC-20 today compared to way back then (the internet provides me with several tools that make ML software development a lot faster). This is a very ambitious project--the VIC-20 equivalent of Ultima IV. I can imagine it taking me a few years to do this (I tend to mull over my code a lot).
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Centallica wrote:Where can we get a prg of the new version?
I still want to do a bit more tweaking on the game, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to upload something by this weekend (or the one after that).
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Take your time and do it right-don't want to wait another 10 years for a better version :D :wink:

Mucho grandes fellow Canadian :D
Brian
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Ghislain wrote:If I do make a Dunjon III, it will probably be a 3D dungeon crawl with a party of 6 characters. It will be made entirely with PETSCII graphics characters. It should be a lot of fun! :)
For sure :) Dunjon II remains my favourite VIC 20 game of all time in the same way that Ultima IV is my favourite C64 game - it's not so much that I'm still playing those games often, but my memories of the time spent with them are the most enjoyable times I spent (gaming) on that platform. I think that's the best job I can do explaining it.

Your plans for Realms of Quest III and IV (or II.V and III) sound excellent. I should give RoQ II another shot - it was (too) tough just like Dunjon II was, but in Dunjon II I finally got a character past the initial difficulty hump so he was powerful enough to do well as long as he didn't stray too far. I never got to that point in RoQ II.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

VICFALL IS FINALLY HERE

Post by Ghislain »

Here is my most up-to-date version of Vicfall:

http://www.geocities.com/classicspiderman/vicfall.zip

It only took me 10 years to finish it :)

I think it's more or less complete, although I'm not 100% happy with it (however, I think it's much better than. The player can now climb up and down the ladders, although the game is stilll a bit slow (though faster than the 1996 version). It's a multi-loader, but I'm quite sure it could be made into a single loader as well. You need a joystick and you have to turn off all of the memory expansion.

Have a nice weekend!