The C64 Does have a Vic-20 Mode and it's great

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

IvorLoader
Vic 20 Newbie

The C64 Does have a Vic-20 Mode and it's great

Post by IvorLoader »

Hello

I have just received my 'The C64' computer after pre-ordering it a while ago and it is pretty good

It has a Vic-20 mode and is compatible will cassette files, cartridges and disk format files e.g. .tap; prg; crt; d64; g64

It also allows for Vic-20 memory expansions by flags in the filename:

Extract from user guide:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Use of 'Flags' or Flags for loading games and / or programs

Audio scale: “_NS”
Full Height: '_FH'
File discrimination: “_M6“ (For C64) / “_MV” (For VIC 20)
Pal / Ntsc format load: “_TP” (For Pal) / “_NS” (For Ntsc)
Expanded memory Vic20: '_B0' Expanded memory of 3k / '_B1' Expanded memory of 8k / '_B1B2' Expanded memory of 16k / '_B1B2B3' Expanded
memory of 24k / '_B1B2B3B5' Expanded memory of 32k / '_B0B1B2B3B5' Expanded memory of 35k

All these “flags” or flags can be used individually or in combination, depending on what we need. A practical example:

Vic20 game:

Original game name “vicgame.prg”
Modified name of the game “vicgame_MVTPB0B1B2B3B5.prg” (Vic mode, pal system and 32k)

Files supported / recognized by TheC64

The games and programs that are compatible to load from a USB memory with the new TheC64 are all those that we can usually also use in other emulation systems. We refer to: d64, g64, d81, prg, tap, crt, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this help you if you are thinking of getting one.

Thanks

Ivor Loader
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: The C64 Does have a Vic-20 Mode and it's great

Post by groepaz »

it's just VICE.... :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

So VICE supports adding flags to the file names?
IvorLoader
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by IvorLoader »

It is partially emulation but I don't think it's vice, its more of a custom emulation that is done for The C64.

It has 720p HD, Stereo and better Sid Sound which comes to the TV / Monitor through the HDMI cable and with a working keyboard that feels totally like the original it gives you a nostalgia feeling of being back in the 1980's again complete with waiting 3-4 mins for tapes to load lol, what is there not to like.

P.S. I am just a happy The C64 user and not connected with the makes in anyway.

I.L.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

So VICE supports adding flags to the file names?
uhm no. could be added, but why - most of it is just a workaround for missing config options. iirc someone here made a launcher app that figures out most of the required setup automatically...
It is partially emulation but I don't think it's vice, its more of a custom emulation that is done for The C64.
it is VICE, trust me. the only custom thing is their frontend. that has been figured out long ago. see https://vice-emu.pokefinder.org/index.p ... ame#THEC64
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Still looking for a place to find the full size The C64 in Canada...

I have the mini which is nice.
Be normal.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

I'm hopefully getting mine delivered tomorrow.

Having a proper Vic/C64 keyboard layout is a big advantage. Emulation with modern keyboards can be a bit of a pain.

I have several real Vic 20's (and C64's) and won't be packing them away, but if The C64 makes it easy I expect I will be using it more often.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I'm waiting for the price drop that will come in some months :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I pre-ordered mine as soon as it was possible (mid-June in Italy), and delivery date was Dec. 5th, now recently shifted to 20th :(. Hopefully, it won't have further delays, so I can receive mine in time to have it under the tree - first time since 1987 :mrgreen: .

It's not the real machine of course, but it's pretty much a Commodore 64, it will be fun to use, it has a VIC inside, and it can help youngsters to approach retrocomputing. Plus, it's the first C64 brand new for Xmas after such a looong time! What else can we ask for?
groepaz wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:23 pmI'm waiting for the price drop that will come in some months :)
It could be, but given the recent delays for excessive demand, it could also be that you won't be able to find one for months. Good luck.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i can wait, i also waited months for the mini (until it was down to 20 bucks). i wont ever actually use it anyway :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

@Groepaz & all: I just read that the ETA in Italy shifted again two weeks forward. Now it's Jan 3rd :twisted:

As a consequence, I'll go to the local store where the thing was expected to arrive, and cancel my order. Hope they will refund the thirty euros I gave in advance as soon as six months ago :cry: . I'll use them to buy retrocomputing stuff, which thanks God is already available.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The support on Retrogames.biz says running cartridges on VIC-20 emulation requires .CRT files.

AFAIK, the .CRT files exist for various C64 cartridges format but I have never seen anything like that for the VIC-20. What is it I'm missing here ?
Be normal.
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

You have to rename them.

If you have one for $6000 and one for $a000, you would name them something like:

fileA0_flags.crt
file60_flags.crt

and load in the $6000 first, then the $a000 last which would autostart the cartridge.

The flags need to indicate the banks to use and also MV for Model Vic20 (or use the config files to do it). I've only tried two crt's - Lode Runner which worked and Submarine Commander which didn't - but I probably did something wrong with that one.
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

AFAIK, the .CRT files exist for various C64 cartridges format but I have never seen anything like that for the VIC-20. What is it I'm missing here ?
they added a kindof dumb auto detection, so anything named .crt enables cartridge emulation, and anything name .d64 enables disk emulation.

(a .crt like format for vic20 is one of the many things on our todo list.... some day perhaps =P)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

AndyH wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:18 am You have to rename them.
"them" being what exactly ? A .BIN of 8192 bytes or a .PRG of 8194 bytes ?
Be normal.