"smelling the bus activity" [split: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)]

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

"smelling the bus activity" [split: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)]

Post by eslapion »

---
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)

Post by MCes »

why not AND the state of the restore key to the input of your circuit.... then it would swap only when holding restore when resetting (which may be more practical)
booting up or resetting the VIC 20 with RESTORE key pressed don't generate a different reset procedure, so observing the bus can't be useful to determine if the RESTORE key is pressed or not... Remember: the rule of game is "without wires"and only "smelling the bus activity"
What if a program just peeks the value at 64802 or $FD22 ?
Will that swap the kernals?
Don't worry: a simple PEEK can't swap the kernals.
The project development was started with the concept of "vector intercept" but it was the starting point, not the arriving point.
The inside microstate machine work harder than a simple vector comparator.

The VIC 20 BUS is the simplest to "smell", but it was a good gym for learning about problems of this solution.
A step beyond it's the C16/+4 BUS, and the relative prototypes are in "beta" version,
another step beyond is the C64(C) BUS, and the relative prototype is working in "alfa" version (I want make it better before declare "beta").
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

---
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Remember: the rule of game is "without wires"and only "smelling the bus activity"
ok, i see
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

---
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

This selling thread is constantly out of topic, so I ask to moderators to move some posts on "hardware and tech",
for example as "smelling a BUS & other techniques" where develop the technical thematics,
thanks
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
orion70
VICtalian

Re: "smelling the bus activity" (was: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)

Post by orion70 »

Done. Please, go on with the technical discussion here.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: "smelling the bus activity" [split: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)]

Post by MCes »

"smelling the bus activities" is not simple, it imply a good knowing of the machine and the firmwares too.

More harder is "smelling the bus" only using the ROM lines and not having any other CPU lines (as CLOCKs, R/W, etc..),
only the cycles that imply the ROM will be recognized, but if you have to follow a kernal procedure it will be sufficient.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: "smelling the bus activity" [split: FOR SALE: "wireless" JiffyDOS for VIC20 (PAL/NTSC)]

Post by eslapion »

---
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Both you and Mr. Brain said it was absolutely impossible.
citation needed
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

---
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

sorry, but...
I just sifted through Mr. Brain's posts looking for a post where he essentially told me that upon reset, I would lose all changed vectors for the load routine (which is pointless if you're doing hardware intercept) and I remember indicating the VIC-I has no reset input.

I couldn't find the thread. Too much dust I guess.
Are you telling that your concept was right because the "pointers vectors at loader routine" inside VIC-I registers won't be deleted by an HW reset?
I'm disoriented: if I remember well the pointers are not inside the VIC-I registers, but on a list into the wall memory and they will be refresched to defaulrt values by reset procedure, also the internal VIC-I registers will be refresced by the same routine.
Sorry, I don't see the point...

Why having this discussion? make it and test it, who didn't belive will belive.... :)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

---
Be normal.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Not that it matters much, but I think it's a bit unfair to:
  • Use such inflammatory language ("Mr. Brain said it was impossible") when the source cannot be readily identified. I no doubt had serious concerns, and I'm OK with people stating that later (Jim had serious concerns and gravely doubted whether this could be done, but I showed it was possible). As the use case is not exactly the same, maybe my comment was directed at the totality of the project, not this specific aspect of it.
  • Use my initial comments in such a thread against the latest comments you made in the same old thread. Maybe I did initially state it was impossible, and then you clarified that I assumed facts not in evidence. But, what did I then say?
  • not give the old conversation the benefit of the doubt. We both know much more about the VIC-20 now than we did then. If I was in error, so be it, my knowledge of the platform was and is still incomplete. If you had made such a statement 4 or 5 years ago, I think I would have tempered it's use in this new thread as "years back, he seriously doubted the possibility, so this is a welcome new piece of truth".
Still, this is not the focus of the discussion. Obviously, impossible or not, it works. Super!

Jim
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

---
Be normal.