Vic 20 Amateur

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello

Post by Soloman »

Welcome neighbors from Germany!
jochwat
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jochwat »

Hello, everyone! Joe here from the corn / solar panel fields of Northern Indiana, USA.

As a pre-teen in the beginning of the 1980s, my Dad wouldn't splurge on a home videogame console. Too expensive for a box that would just make an already "husky" boy sit around in the house even more than normal. But when I saw that the local K-Mart was promoting the Vic 20, a real computer, for only $88! I showed my parents the newspaper ad, they discussed it, and Dad and I went to go pick up the machine. He saw they also had a "Commodore 64" on sale for $249 and asked, would you rather get this one? That seemed like a lot of money, and I was happy just to be getting the Vic, so I said, nah, the $88 one is fine. :shock:

Eventually the Vic 20 was indeed upgraded to a tape drive, then a floppy drive, then to a C64, then an Amiga 1000, and then a 2000HD, and a 3000, until finally the writing was on the wall and I've been in Windows-land ever since.

But recently I found a Facebook Marketplace ad selling a couple of Vic-20s. One works well, the other has a video issue but works outside of that. Grabbed a Penultimate+ 2 cart, a SD card drive, a video cable, and a joystick, and downloaded a bunch of books. I guess this is one way to be 13 again! Amazed what you folks out there are making for my first computer these days. Tetris was a fun surprise, for sure. Can't wait to dig into more fun stuff.

-Joe
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Great story, Joe,

Welcome to Denial!

Yes, you are right, I guess that, for many of us, this is like being 13 again :wink:

Cheers
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Being thirteen again is the reason why I keep coming back here on a regular basis. Welcome! :D
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orangeman96 »

Me too! I am just getting back into my VIC-20 nowadays. (no thanks to Chysn, BTW! :lol: )
ibaldachini
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ibaldachini »

Hi, I'm Igor from Italy.

I have my Vic 20 from far 1982, probably like you!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Benvenuto Igor! Glad to have another Italian fellow in the friendly forum :D . Have fun!