For new users - make a post or say hello

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
MTU
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello

Post by MTU »

Hi guys,

the first computer i owned was a VIC 20. I was eleven and just wanted to play games. I remember my Gorf cartridge:-)
Strangely enough my uncle converted me to the ZX Spectrum (speccy), which was really extraordinary because i am german and in Germany Commodore was the biggest name. Even when i am quite busy with the ZX Spectrum nowadays, you know: you never forget your first love. So i thought it would be time to come back to my old passion! Honestly i would love to convert some of my speccy games, but i am only using game developing tools [AGD(x),MPAGD, SEUD]. Maybe in the forum are some nice guys, who want to support a conversion?!?!? But for now i will enjoy to read the posts and remembering the good old days, when my sister read the listings aloud and i typed it in :-)

Cheers :)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome To our friendly forum.

I was in love with the Spectrum too, but stayed with Commodore (C-64) after that the Amiga 500, this is still in my collection.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by MTU »

Thanks a lot Peter,
I already feel 40 years younger :wink:

Now i have to read through the posts :D

Cheers,

Sebastian
sean_sk
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by sean_sk »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say a quick hello. Long time fan of the VIC-20 as it was my first computer. I was one of the odd ones that never got into the Commodore 64, so it never had the same nostalgia or appeal for me as did the VIC-20. Completely skipped past the C64 and went to Amiga. :D Hoping to get some technical support on my VIC as I'm trying to fix a small problem. Thanks guys.
MadZiontist
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by MadZiontist »

Hello. I just got my account activated today, after my confirmation email sat unnoticed in a spam folder for months! I discovered this community after trying to hunt down a ROM of VicTragic's Pitfall, after seeing it in a YouTube video. Then I discovered Frogger by VicTragic. I've never owned Vic-20, just a Commodore 64. But I'm into retro games for all platforms, and am interested in seeing more of what the Vic-20 has to offer. I thought this would be a good place for that. :)
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Hi MadZiontist,

You wrote:
MadZiontist wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:35 pm But I'm into retro games for all platforms, and am interested in seeing more of what the Vic-20 has to offer.
Well for a rather comprehensive game collection check out the FE3 Software collection.
link to the thread below:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... a6b218f5ab

Anyway welcome and enjoy your stay

Huffelduff
MrSterlingBS
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by MrSterlingBS »

Hi at all,

greetings from Germany, Braunschweig.

BR
Sven

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Welcome to our friendly forum Sven 🇩🇪
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Soloman »

Hello there,

To my surprise I discovered this forum that still is active. I live in the Netherlands, married (with a woman), working for the Dutch government as a data-analyst. My work is making workable information from a huge unstructured collection of data, and making analyses how things are doing, so decisionmakers can do their work. It's a very interesting job.
In the early 80's I was educated for mainframe-programmer and system-analyzer for the Dutch government. In 1983 I bought a Commodore 64 and became totally addicted to it. I programmed many programs in Commodore Basic 2.0 and collected games. After 20 years this remarkable computer went to heaven. :cry:
A couple of years ago I downloaded the VICE-emulator. But I was very busy with working and family. Now, times are somewhat more quiet, I have more time for hobbies like astronomy, story-writing and programming (learning Python, R).
But now I spend a lot of time with the VIC-20 of the VICE-emulator. It feels liking going to the basics. On the unexpanded VIC, in BASIC it is really a challenge, and no sprites, sound is diffirent. And I am learning the 6502-assembly language. I use the VICMON-assembler, some books I downloaded for free and Compute!'s Gazettes I downloaded for free. At the moment I explore the memory of the unexpanded VIC and do exercises in VICMON. It's really fun!
I choose for this forum to learn from the users here, with the possibility to ask questions to you. And read about your works on the VIC!
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Soloman wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:23 am I choose for this forum to learn from the users here, with the possibility to ask questions to you. And read about your works on the VIC!
Welcome!
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Soloman
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Soloman »

chysn wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:09 am
Soloman wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:23 am I choose for this forum to learn from the users here, with the possibility to ask questions to you. And read about your works on the VIC!
Welcome!
Thank you!
hawkwind28948
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by hawkwind28948 »

Hello
I had a Vic20 as a 13 year old in the 1980's, in fact only sold it a few years ago when clearing the loft out, it still worked apart from the rf box which was always a bit dodgy anyway. I learned to program and wrote my own m/code assembler in basic back in the day, though didn't have a full set of instructions as just got them from magazines. Me and the lad who lived down the road were trying to write a game (him on the dragon32 me on the vic) we didn't get that far and soon discovered cigarettes, alcohol and girls which ended the whole early computer thing for me.
It'd be nice if I managed to recreate how far I got with the game, a sort of basic D&D type RPG, but I doubt I'd have the time to get past the front screen.
L0v3@1stByte
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by L0v3@1stByte »

Hello, Vic20 was my very first computer. Have it still today. 👋🏻
LOFI_CODER
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by LOFI_CODER »

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well.

I've been following this forum for a few years now and I'm fascinated by how much interest there still is in the good old VIC-20.

During the long COVID lockdown, I had the time to get into game programming in assembler. Somehow I realized pretty quickly that I wanted to write something for the VIC-20. That became LIQUIDATOR.

Now that winter is coming, I got the game out of the drawer again and wish I had commented the source code better ...
For the next game project, I can safely throw away the old source code and start from scratch. Somehow I take comfort in the fact that more people are going through this ...

Greetings
LOFI_CODER
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Welcome, another german, I see? You are in good company here :mrgreen: