Pixel Productions (circa 1982)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Pixel Productions (circa 1982)

Post by siccoyote »

I've been looking around and disovering the games released for the vic 20 and I have been quite taken with the games by Pixel Productions. With the quite polished design and cinematic feel of their productions which is unusal from what I've seen on the platform usually.

The Trader Trilogy
Encounter
Starquest
Zor
Subspace Striker
Brainstorm
Harvester

Unfortunately I have searched high and low and can't find a prg or .d64 version of Brainstorm or Harvester, only tap files, which won't work on the sd2iec.
I don't suppose anyone knows any way to get the prgs out of the tap files?

https://mega.nz/#!g88xnKZS!W0y5XVVdnDhS ... X9gs8GEvZA
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Pixel Productions (circa 1982)

Post by oracle_jedi »

Well, just 2 years late!

I was reading back through older posts and noticed this request, and as it happens I was recently gathering all of the Pixel Productions titles together on a single disk. I've also attached a second ZIP with the same files in PRG format.

This collection incudes Harvester and Brainstorm, although note - they are for the unexpanded VIC, whereas everything else needs a 16K expansion.

The Trader trilogy in this collection has been further modified to be NTSC friendly, as well as loading each subsequent part from whatever disk drive the last part loaded from.
Attachments
Pixel Productions PRG format.zip
(64.34 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Pixel Productions.zip
(67.58 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you so much. Excellent titles, they make a great compilation!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

I'm happy to see that one of my first program "DISK-LOADER" of about 15 years ago, is still used from many users for their disk collection.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

nbla000 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:09 pm I'm happy to see that one of my first program "DISK-LOADER" of about 15 years ago, is still used from many users for their disk collection.
DISK-LOADER is awesome! Is there an official tool for creating the SEQ file? I hacked together something for now, but if there is a better tool I'd love to have a copy.

Thanks!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

oracle_jedi wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 pm Is there an official tool for creating the SEQ file? I hacked together something for now, but if there is a better tool I'd love to have a copy.
There is my DISK-WRITER of course ;-)

From the old (no more existing) web page:
Disk-Loader is a Basic program for the Commodore Vic-20 (unexpanded or with any memory expansion) that allows to quickly load programs from a disk drive.

Technically it reads a sequential file “DISK.SEQ” that you must write before to read the floppy content, thus you need a Disk-Writer program too.

This “strange” approach allows to load looooong directories, also from unexpanded VICs, without ?OUT OF MEMORY errors.
Attachments
Disk-Loader.7z
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.