Is this box variant rare?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Is this box variant rare?

Post by Johnrh »

Hello,
I'm a bit new here but it seems like the best place to ask these questions. I just picked up a vic-20 from the local pawn shop for $50 and i purchased it because i had not seen this style of box before so is it rare at all? I also opened up the computer and it seems to be of early production but other than that i am a total newby here... any help is appreciated.

Have not tested it yet as my newer tv doesn't have the right connections so a direct DIN to RCA cable is in the mail and i will update if it works or not when i get it.

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Is this box variant rare?

Post by eslapion »

Most early VIC-20s that were made in Japan had that box.

Take a photo near the userport and see the orientation of the 6522 ICs.
Be normal.
Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Johnrh »

eslapion wrote:Most early VIC-20s that were made in Japan had that box.

Take a photo near the userport and see the orientation of the 6522 ICs.
I took a photo of the two that had 6522 on them, hopefully that helps. Interesting to know about the box! It was just hard to find photos of one online.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It's usually hard to judge exactly when the Japanese made VIC-20s were actually manufactured. As you may know, the computer was launched first in Japan as the VIC-1001 in September 1980, but wasn't out in the US until about April 1981. Judging it purely by chip dates is not possible, because the Japan factory still had stock left over from the VIC-1001 production. I have to admit, for your computer, that's far more certain because of the manufacture stamp!

The VIC-20 box here is the same art style used for the VIC-1001. The first run in the US had these boxes before swapping to the colour photo type that we are more used to seeing. Didn't apply to Europe (see below).

There are a few other near-certainties: all the Japanese made VIC-20s have serial numbers that start 5xxxxx; they made both NTSC and PAL units (my PAL VIC-20 is a made in Japan model but comes in the later colour box); they tend to use the older, earlier metal box style power transformer (you don't show yours in your photos); and gold case label (again, no photo).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mayhem wrote:There are a few other near-certainties: [...]
Just by the look of the rectifier/regulator heat sink (bottom photo in OP) and the 'arrangement' of the VIAs (horizontal rather than vertical), this identifies it as the first mainboard revision of the VIC-1001 and very early NTSC VIC-20s.

@Johnrb: Keep it in good shape! :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

A complete set of external and internal pictures would solve any doubt :). Congratulations on this excellent finding BTW!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@johnrh
The datecode on the 6522s is 4480 (44th week of 1980) making these VIAs the oldest ones I have ever seen.
Be normal.
Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Johnrh »

Well everything sounds like good news to me! It does have the large metal box style power adapter and I believe the badge is silver? Hard to tell in the light. Thanks guys for the help I posted it here because I looked at that vic 20 registry site and it was earlier than any of them so i was curious.

I'll take some more complete photos inside and out tonight!
Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Johnrh »

Here are some more pictures! I have a decent camera so you should be able to zoom in to see the finer markings on the individual chips.

Then i don't know if this has any significance but it has 1001010 imprinted on the inside top lid of the case?

mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

Please replace the zip tie on the big blue capacitor next to the 5V regulator/heatsink.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

From those photos, and the bag as well, and the ties, makes you wonder if the computer has ever been used. I forgot to mention PET style keyboard above for the early US units, but you've got that as well heh.
eslapion wrote:@johnrh
The datecode on the 6522s is 4480 (44th week of 1980) making these VIAs the oldest ones I have ever seen.
I'll open my VIC-1001 and recheck the insides, I'd imagine the 6522s in there could be older ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Johnrh »

mrr19121970 wrote:Please replace the zip tie on the big blue capacitor next to the 5V regulator/heatsink.
Definitely will do that soon, that had me worried..
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Wow, what a beautiful find!
Johnrh
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Johnrh »

Mayhem wrote:From those photos, and the bag as well, and the ties, makes you wonder if the computer has ever been used. I forgot to mention PET style keyboard above for the early US units, but you've got that as well heh.
eslapion wrote:@johnrh
I'll open my VIC-1001 and recheck the insides, I'd imagine the 6522s in there could be older ;)

Would love to see how old they are Mayhem! Interesting to be learning more about the date codes.

Well i got my DIN to RCA cord in and vic appears to be in good working condition! It starts up well showing the correct 2583 bytes free to use and when i tried a copy of 'Choplifter' that i bought and it worked great! Having a lot of fun with this computer and i thank you all for the help figuring out just how old this sucker is. Do you fellas have any guess at value in this condition w/ box etc though? I was thinking about it as i'm at my limit room wise in my house and don't know if i will be keeping this vic... Thanks.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Johnrh wrote:Well i got my DIN to RCA cord in and vic appears to be in good working condition! It starts up well showing the correct 2583 bytes free
I presume this is a typo! :D
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com