High density

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: High density

Post by LoadError »

It would be, but I'd be surprised if the different type of media generated a difference in voltage sufficient to damage any component; at least not in the short run. Still, if anyone wants to try and measure... 8)
Commodore VIC-20 n. WG-C-275517 - manufactured in Western Germany in 1983
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I always thought that HD disks were made with a finer material but applied to the disk in a thinner layer that actually resulted in a lower flux density but higher granularity than DD disks. And with the higher signal level of a DD drives writing, it got over saturated leading to distortion. This, as I understand is why an HD disk formatted and written to at DD with an HD drive is readable on a DD drive but not writable on the DD drive.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
LoadError
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by LoadError »

Unless the drive is the almighty OC-118 :lol:
Commodore VIC-20 n. WG-C-275517 - manufactured in Western Germany in 1983
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

I have a Excelerator+ I think ill try it.

Update: It didn't work on mine.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kakemoms wrote:
eslapion wrote:Interesting. Its possible that high currents can drive some components to destruction, but probably only if it also generates higher voltage.
Transformers which are subjected to excessive loads can have their windings fail even if the voltage if always perfectly within normal values.

The windings inside a disk drive R/W head are incredibly small so I assume it doesn't take that much excessive current to destroy them. I also assume this can all occur at perfectly normal voltages.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

i'm just a silly programmer who has no clue of this electronic wizardry, but perhaps its still true that there is a direct relation between voltage and current, and since we can assume the resistance of the windings does not change there wont be excessive current when the voltage is fine.
AFAIK, the destruction of the R/W head can occur when, in a panic, someone tries multiple times to format an HD disk.
if anything it would happen when reading the disk, not when writing it. however, it still doesnt happen
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.