Great Vic20 places on internet..

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mikam73
2049er

Great Vic20 places on internet..

Post by Mikam73 »

I miss two Vic20 internet pages a lot.. Those two were really great..

Armas Vic20 page:
http://members.fortunecity.com/timfy/vicimages.htm

Alhazred's VIC-20 page - Games Main Page
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/vic20/games.html

Now I can find screenshots only here..
http://www.digitpress.com/dpsightz/vic20

But I would like to find pics of gameboxes somewere too..
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I love the screenshot site.

Finally get to see what many games look like.

Chris
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

zyz
Vic 20 Newbie

Vic-20 video capture site...

Post by zyz »

Made some video captures before Mainframe 2003 and realised it could be valuable for people without access to a real Vic-20 so now it is all online. Horray?

http://www.gudinna.com/~zyz/vic20

Might get access to the recording studio some ohurs a month so requests for captures is possible. .. Sounds good? hmm tasty puppy... bluergh..
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

http://ftp.martnet.com/commie/vic20/

Chris.. I bet you love this one.. :D
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Yes i do Mika!

another site bookmarked!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mikam!!! Great! All the cartridge rom images that was removed from funet!!! Thanks!

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Or almost all, as some were added after this mirror was made. Maybe not cartridges, but other originally tape or disk based games. It reminds me that I have a few MB of commercial VIC-20 software previously not available for download on my hard drive. I once promised to upload it somewhere, but the anti-piracy story delayed the uploading.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

By the way.. Is there any easy way use those cartridge ROMs on real Vic20 ?

I did transfer many Vic20 games to disc with XA1541..

Tape prg games usually work fine, but cartridges are problem..

It would be fun have many cart games on one disc..

Multi cart would be really great too.. :D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mikam, for the 8k ones... Just make sure you have 8K ram at block 5 ($A000). Then load the file ,8,1 and then sys 64802

LOAD "OMEGA RACE",8,1
SYS64802

If you have a Commodore 8K RAM cartridge, then you can open it up and find switches inside to use it for block 5.

Some games (some 8k and all 16k) requires two files to be loaded and that you have memory in two different blocks, for example block 3 and 5.

/Anders
arel72
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by arel72 »

Boray wrote:Mikam, for the 8k ones... Just make sure you have 8K ram at block 5 ($A000). Then load the file ,8,1 and then sys 64802
Hey, this is a great tip!!! I tested with VICE emulator and it works! Do you know if something like that is possible with a 16k expansion? I have an original Commodore 16k expansion and before attempting to open it...

And what about 4k roms? Any similar trick for those?

*Gabriele*
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

4k ROM files works just the same, just make sure you have RAM where they should be placed in memory.

I don't know how it is with the original 16K RAM cartridge, but I think my brother said once that they don't work for this... But I have a 16K RAM that is a rebuilt Commodore 8K RAM and it has switches for both 8K blocks letting me play any 16K plugins... My ram cartridge also has a read/write switch, letting me first load the game, then switch it to read only - and then I can even play games that has a ram testing copy protection.

All plugin imagnes I have on tape though (copied in the 80's) is actually positioned in block 3, so I had to do this before loading:

POKE43,0 : POKE 44,160

(Setting the basic memory to $a000).

They had probably made some adapter remapping cartridges to block 3 to be able to copy them without the game starting. Probably...

There might be ROM images that NOT are in the Commodores file format. (They should be 2 bytes smaller than commodore files), for example 8192 bytes instead of 8194), then you have to add two bytes to the beginning of the file to tell the vic20 where to load them into memory. (Before copying the files to the 1541). For a file that should be loaded into $a000, the first two bytes should be $00 and $A0, in other words, the address in reversed byte order.

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

What people did with their 8K RAM's was not to open them, but to remove the top metal cover. Then they could easily reach the switches without having to open the cartridge over and over....

/Anders
arel72
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by arel72 »

I couldn't wait so I opened my 16k ram expansion. It's a german one and there are no switches inside. Instead I found (in the middle of the board, toward the front contacts) couples of soldering pads numbered 1,2,3,4,5.
Could it be there where a possible block switch could have been, maybe in a different issue of the board?
I wonder if shortening some of those pads would produce the desired result...

*Gabriele*
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I wouldn't shorten anything if I didn't know for sure... Maybe you should both cut somewhere and shorten/solder something else... I don't know... One problem could also be that you maybe just have one big 16K hunk of memory, and how would you put 16K of memory in a 8K memory space? Block 5 is only 8K big...

You could look at a description of the expansion port and then trace the connections of the memory chips to see where in the memory space it mounts and where to change the connections. But the best is to ask someone who knows! ;) I don't... ;)

/Anders