ViC20 strange behaviour at power up.

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

repetto74
Vic 20 Amateur

ViC20 strange behaviour at power up.

Post by repetto74 »

Hi,

I have a strange video artifact popping out randomly at power up for one Vic20.

Sometimes VIC prompt will look like this

A rapid recycling of the power switch will put back video to normal.

Any idea? :?: Hope something is not failing in my VIC. I am using a video to SCART cable working good with a C64.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: ViC20 strange behaviour at power up.

Post by Mike »

This happens when the colour carrier frequency is outside the tolerance limits.

When your TFT isn't anymore able to sync to the colour phase, those psychedelic colours result - or an altogether b/w picture.

Please identify the mainboard revision (DIN or 2-prong PSU plug):

The fine adjustment of the oscillator is done by a capacitor trimmer in the vicinity of the VIC chip. On the 2-prong, this is C35 near to the quartz. On the DIN mainboard, this is C48. In most cases the VIC chip and the trimmer are located inside a metallic RF box.

Mark the old position of the trimmer or remember it. Normally, you'd need a non-metallic adjustment stylus, however while running the computer reacts to changes of the frequency quite often with a crash including black screen. Therefore, a normal screwdriver also does the service - while the VIC-20 is switched off. A quarter-turn at max in one of the two directions should suffice.

If you got it quite right, you have stable colours again. Do several trials in the warmed-up state to find the range where you have colour, finally set the trimmer into the middle of that range.
repetto74
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: ViC20 strange behaviour at power up.

Post by repetto74 »

Hi,

It is the 2 prong version. The trimmer tweaking you are explaining as alteady been done (There are 2 plastic round trimmer one for video and one for black I believe) as I wasn't happy with the picture output. Anyway this strange artifact is still coming out from time to time. Maybe I need to trim again.