Don't buy this "power cable"

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Don't buy this "power cable"

Post by joshuadenmark »

Some idiot is selling "power cables" for our beloved 2 prong Vic on Ebay...seriously an Vic killer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Cable-2 ... 4d2c1f8e93
Kind regards, Peter.

Re: Don't buy this "power cable"

Post by Boray »

Why not? It looks like just a connector and cable for someone who wants to build their own PSU??? Use it with a 9V transformer and it should be fine.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Boray wrote:Why not? It looks like just a connector and cable for someone who wants to build their own PSU??? Use it with a 9V transformer and it should be fine.
No text telling the buyer to use a psu, after my opinion a misleading item. In lack of better knowledge som people will connect powerplug in the other end and fry the Vic...
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by groepaz »

at least they'll get some nice fireworks that way ;)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

joshuadenmark wrote:
Boray wrote:Why not? It looks like just a connector and cable for someone who wants to build their own PSU??? Use it with a 9V transformer and it should be fine.
No text telling the buyer to use a psu, after my opinion a misleading item. In lack of better knowledge som people will connect powerplug in the other end and fry the Vic...
Have you tried to contact the seller to advise him of your concern? He should be able to edit the description to inform potential buyers that the lead needs a PSU to limit the voltage going into the VIC.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It clearly says 9V on the Vic-20 where you connect the plug. But, well, it would have been better if he mentioned something about it.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)