Seems my 1541 just broke down...

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Seems my 1541 just broke down...

Post by Boray »

:?

I was transfering files with star commander and a XE cable... When it suddenly started to behave strangely... So I connected it to a Plus/4 instead to see if it was the drive or the PC.... and it was the drive... This is what happens: If I do a dir command, it strats to sound a little (like one or two track change sounds), then it starts to display the directory, but only a few filenames, then there are two or three track change sounds again and then the directory continues to be displayed... to then be interrupted by some track change sounds etc... etc..

Any idea at all? Has the head got out of adjustment or something? But if I look inside, I don't see any way of adjusting it...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's the old dark grey 1541 with brown front where you insert the disk....

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I've fixed it...

First I tested to format a diskette, and that worked allright. I saved a couple of files on it and then inserted it into my 1541-II... And then exactly the same behaviour was there... So I conlcuded that it must be the head that was out of place...

But I still could not find any way of adjusting it... But then I discovered that you could move the step motor's wheel up and down (a wheel with a metal band attached to it). So I moved it up a little and the problem was fixed. This wheel must gradually have moved down because of the the shaking (for example when you format a diskette).

/Anders
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Seems the drive runs a lot more quiet after this....

/Anders
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

I was going to mention that you might want to put some very very light grease on the drive head rails. Maybe it was stuttering trying to move the head along them. First thing that came to mind anyway. :D

Leo
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I actually did put a little "silicone spray" on those ;)

/Anders