Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ldxstx
Vic 20 Dabbler

Problem with the 1541

Post by ldxstx »

Hi! :)

I've just bought a 1541 (Newtronics) like this one:

When I turn on the drive the green led stays on, the red one on for a second and then it turns off; then when I turn on the Vic-20 the red led turns on and then off and the motor of the 1541 spins and then stops after a second or so.

Here's the problem: (a floppy is inserted) when I type LOAD"$",8 it seems that the computer doesn't detect the 1541, since it displays the message "SEARCHING FOR $" and nothing else: the red led doesn't flash, the motor doesn't spin, no error messages or evidences.

I've read (Carlsen) that 3 ICs may be involved: 7406, 74LS14 and the VIA (6522): I'll try to desolder them and replace them (with sockets). I'll have to search for them since I don't have any replacements atm.

Btw: I tested with my DMM the serial cable and it's okay (continuity).
Btw #2: I tried other channels too (e.g.: LOAD"$",9 LOAD"$",10 LOAD"$",11) etc

Since I've no previous experience with the 1541, could it be something else? (there is no "FILE NOT FOUND" or "LOAD ERROR" or any other error message or flashing red led as I said).

And the most important question to me as I like to learn: is there any way to test these 3 chips on board, instead of replacing them with the "swapping tech", with these tools I've got: the digital oscilloscope and DMM (or any other tool like a logic probe or signal injector etc)?

Thank you! :)