Is there any danger in booting a VIC from a power strip?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Is there any danger in booting a VIC from a power strip?

Post by Jeff-20 »

By this, I mean, does anyone have an opinion on the differences between booting a VIC by its power switch versus having the power switch already on and powering on by turning a surge protected power strip on? Would that make the computer more likely to crash?

I just killed a power supply, and I want to figure out what happened. BTW, I'm in search for a new power supply.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Is there any danger in booting a VIC from a power strip?

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:does anyone have an opinion on the differences between booting a VIC by its power switch versus having the power switch already on and powering on by turning a surge protected power strip on?
There's no difference other than that the strip keeps the PSU cold when it's switched off. That should also prolong its service life and conserves energy.
Would that make the computer more likely to crash?
No. That's the exact purpose of the reset circuit inside the VIC-20 - it only enables the computer operation once all voltages at the chips are assumed to have settled.
I just killed a power supply, and I want to figure out what happened.
These beasts are just getting old. Besides they really were not exactly the best designed CBM hardware. :wink:
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

There's no pratical difference where the vic is turned on and off from.

For more reliable VIC operation replace the original PSU with a modern 5V/12V DC or 12V DC only PSU depending on which type of VIC it is.

Lee.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the info, guys! I'm using a CR model Vic with the din-style psu. Where would I get a modern psu for that?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

I do it like this.

Lee.
moijk
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Is there any danger in booting a VIC from a power strip?

Post by moijk »

Jeff-20 wrote:By this, I mean, does anyone have an opinion on the differences between booting a VIC by its power switch versus having the power switch already on and powering on by turning a surge protected power strip on? Would that make the computer more likely to crash?
I have all my 15+ machines on misc powerstrips. since it is only one or two on at the same time running everything from a few outlets branched five power strips isn't a problem. beside by being able to turn on a powerstrip only when needed saves me from the zombie draw electronical gadgets have.
Jeff-20 wrote: I just killed a power supply, and I want to figure out what happened. BTW, I'm in search for a new power supply.
I killed probably 5-6 power supplies during the 80s. just by using the computer the normal way. that i even have an original now for the c64 i have has to be a freak accident. my vic 20 however has a replacement one.