Video Game Mega Trends

Discuss anything related to the VIC

What was your favorite video game trend/era?

Maze games (Pacman, Ladybug, Mousetrap...)
19%
Ladder games (Donkey Kong, Lode Runner, Mappy...)
12%
Platform games (Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi...)
15%
Puzzle games (Tetris, Bejeweled, Mr. Driller...)
4%
Fighting games (Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Tekken...)
4%
Music games (Dance Dance Revolution, Guitar Hero, Beatmania...)
No votes
First Person Shooting games (Call of Duty, Halo, Doom...)
12%
Sandbox games (Grand Theft Auto, Bully, Fallout...)
8%
Space Shooter (Space Invaders, Gorf, Galaga)
27%

Total votes: 26

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Video Game Mega Trends

Post by Jeff-20 »

In my opinion, there are genres in video games that will always be around: scrolling shooters, sports, racing and RPGs. They may become more or less popular at times, but they persist.

Then there are "MEGA TRENDS" where a certain type of game becomes popular and overwhelms the market for a long time. Every game becomes a formulaic clone of whatever is selling. For example, first person shooter seem ubiquitous in contemporary consoles.

I, personally, am fond of the top-down perspective maze game. Most of the games I make are just variations of it. I was annoyed by the side-scrolling platform era of gaming. I wonder what trends you were fond of and which made you sick. If I forgot any, let me know.
Last edited by Jeff-20 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Back in the day, I was mostly into adventure/puzzle games such as the Zork series, I wasn't a big fan of platformers like Mario or Sonic.

I remember when Wolfenstein 3D came out, I was hooked, along with the Doom and Quake series.

The Half-Life series was great, maybe someday they'll finish it. As well as the God of War series.

Lately I'm into Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare, Brutal Legend and the inFAMOUS series on PS3. Sort of free-roam adventure type games.

But I always go back to my VIC, C64 & C128. Love 'em!
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Voted for Pacman and mazes as Space Invaders and Galaxian weren't available.

I always disliked Neo Geo scrolling beat em ups, Sonic and Zelda / Cutesie RPG.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

It's a really hard choice, I wish to vote for the first 4 genres btw my definitive choice is Pacman and mazes.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Again, I am only considering "trends". I don't consider text adventures to have ever been "trendy", but I guess the scrolling beat 'em up was popular for a few years and should probably be included. Not nearly as long as the music dance games or more recent trends.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I used to like the side-scrolling platform games because they were the games that really opened up gaming for me. Prior to that, my family had an Atari 2600 and I longed to experience games that offered more than a single screen and graphics that look like pieces of Lego.

I voted for the side-scrolling genre, but it doesn't really reflect my current taste in games. The platformers I grew up with seem too old hat and I get more enjoyment from the eras/genres that I didn't experience first hand.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Like Vic20-Ian I miss the "space shooter" genre or whatever you want to call it (whcih was actually the first major arcade game trend): Galaxians, Galaga (one of my all-time favorite games), Gorf, Omega Race, etc.

I can't vote with a clear concsience on any of the others, but first person shooters or ladder games would be my second choice. Loved Jumpman and Lode Runner!
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You're totally right. I forgot about the Space Invader clones. I added that option to the poll, but some of you may have already voted. I don't know if you can change your vote by editing your post.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I don't know if you can change your vote by editing your post.
No you can't :cry:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

One genre which I don't think is represented on the VIC-20 is the space fighter 'simulation', such as Star Raiders or Space Spartans.

For a while in the early 90s there were a lot of these: Freelancer, Wing Commander, Xwing/TIE Fighter, Colony Wars, etc. I really enjoyed those, but that genre fell out of favour and you don't see too many of those anymore.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I was thinking of genres that dominated a time span. For example, side scrolling platformers were not only popular, but outsold all other genres for a good length of time.

Strategy war games have always been popular, but in my opinion, they were always second or third place to some other trend.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I went for puzzle games such as Tetris. I also like things like Spin Dizzy, Gyroscope, W*H*B*,and Stranded 2.5 for the ZX Spectrum.

Unfortunately that is a genre under represented on the VIC. I would love to see some of those titles converted for a 32K VIC 20, it must surely be possible.

I also like beat em ups. Never been a fan of platform games really and these days I find there isn't enough to a space shooter.

I did enjoy a first person shooter that I played (I've only ever played a few). The one I liked was "The Thing" for PC.