Moderator: Moderators

vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Crater Raider --- REALLY?

Post by vicassembly »

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It is pretty rare. Oddly enough, I think I've seen more sealed versions of it sold than unsealed.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want to know who is collecting VIC stuff like this! I see these crazy prices, but something tells me they're not coming from Denial members. It seems like someone who is into the VIC enough to buy these things should be on the forum.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

There may be more copies of this coming. Much of the new(old) stuff coming out of Venezuela looks like it's coming from a common source. Some of those games (maybe all, who knows?) are in abundance (like 10 or more copies).
Some of the sellers are smart in that they don't flood the market with more copies of the games, but some are not. For a collector this is the dilemma, should he wait or secure the (possible) only copy available.

btw: I'm not the crazy one (this time).
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I recently bought about 60 games from a chap in Finland for my ZX Spectrum. They are all in mint condition, many are still in shrinkwrap. This is new old stock from the 1980s. I am in a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should open the sealed ones. I opened one so far using the logic that the tape may not work, or be the correct tape, so why would it be worth anything sealed anyway? Needless to say the tape did work.

I know it's not VIC stuff, but it's sort of related. What do others think? I collect so that I can try the programs out, not so they sit collecting dust for 30 years.

Frankly I'm surprised at just how much VIC 20 stuff is still about. I certainly wouldn't pay big money for VIC stuff. The computer itself should be the most expensive item IMO, with the possible exception of the Mega Cart, but that represents excellent value for money.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

If I was you, I'd dedicate a night to opening all the games, read the inlays, and load stuff... I would consider it part of the pleasure I paid for. Being back to the 80s with your new games to try... Priceless :) .
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

16KVIC20 wrote:I know it's not VIC stuff, but it's sort of related. What do others think? I collect so that I can try the programs out, not so they sit collecting dust for 30 years.
I say open them. There's no point in having all that stuff if you're not going to enjoy using it. And if any of the games aren't preserved in digital form somewhere, you should record the tapes to your computer and offer the wav files to the ZX Spectrum community. They will be mightily pleased.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
vic20guy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by vic20guy »

I thought you guys would appreciate seeing the original artwork to crater raider

http://members.shaw.ca/comix/DSCN4874.JPG
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Welcome :)

Where did that come from then?
vic20guy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by vic20guy »

from Boone.

commodore guys knowledgeable about Boone may know that a c64 title called last eclipse was drawn up to the point of being released but didn't, I don't think, ever get released.

Here's a pic of one of the few remaining boxes
http://members.shaw.ca/comix/finalecl.png

and of the original artwork (a real beauty in hand). both arts are about 30 inches long

http://members.shaw.ca/comix/DSCN4871.JPG
DwightDMoody
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DwightDMoody »

Jeff-20 wrote:I want to know who is collecting VIC stuff like this! I see these crazy prices, but something tells me they're not coming from Denial members. It seems like someone who is into the VIC enough to buy these things should be on the forum.
Not all the buyers of this stuff are Denial members, excepting me. I got the first one offered. I think many of the super-rare cartridges got wholesaled out and shipped to areas where the Vic-20 was still in demand and being used, such as South America and Europe. BTW, if you are looking for C-16 software, Europe/Australia is pretty much the best place to look. On Ebay, search worldwide and see how much more items come up for the Vic as well as C-16.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Bacon wrote:
16KVIC20 wrote:I know it's not VIC stuff, but it's sort of related. What do others think? I collect so that I can try the programs out, not so they sit collecting dust for 30 years.
I say open them. There's no point in having all that stuff if you're not going to enjoy using it. And if any of the games aren't preserved in digital form somewhere, you should record the tapes to your computer and offer the wav files to the ZX Spectrum community. They will be mightily pleased.
Coming from the library and digital preservation world I wholeheartedly agree: copy as much of the old stuff onto new media before bitrot gets it!
And share if at all possible, securing these little artifacts of digital archaeology for the future.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

DwightDMoody wrote:. . . areas where the Vic-20 was still in demand and being used, such as South America and Europe.
Wait. What? :shock:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vicassembly
Vic 20 Devotee

Another one ....

Post by vicassembly »

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Price has jumped a bit then, I paid $150 combined for both Boone releases sealed in the past.