Thinking of a SuperCPU VIC

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Thinking of a SuperCPU VIC

Post by eslapion »

TLovskog wrote:Need and necessary is one thing ... daydreaming and what can technically be done ... is another one ;-)
The original idea behind this project is to keep it as simple as possible.
Groepaz wrote:what i said is that it should be possible to switch such accelerator into "no acceleration" mode, because you cant easily remove it (like a scpu for example). and that (and only that) non accelerated mode should be 100% compatible - and the easiest (and obvious) way to achieve that is using an (additional) original (and hence 100% compatible) MOS6502. no more, no less.
A lot of complexity added for very very little difference.

My solution: take the accelerated CPU's clock down to the mainboard's clock at the expense of losing a tiny puny little amount of compatibility with a few highly excentric software.

In my case: I have 3 different VIC-20s and only one would have the accelerator in it.

So for the umpteenth time:suggestion rejected!

Unhappy? Start your own thread, make your own accelerator 8)
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Tokra wrote:For me it's a question of economics
For me too. Adding an MOS CPU will double the size of the device since you need not only to add the extra CPU but also the logic circuits to be able to connect/disconnect it from the bus.

In the C64, because the 6510 supports DMA. its very easy. On the VIC, its a pain and it would add incredibly little benefit.

Now Groepaz has decided that he will keep control of this thread, or any other in which I might try to start a collaborative project, until he manages to get it closed or turns it to worthless garbage.

That's called hijacking a thread.
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Unhappy? Start your own thread, make your own accelerator
already told you that i am not interested and that accelerating classic computers is a pointless exercise to me. and it doesnt bother me at all. much less than it bothers you to tell me how wrong i am :)
Now Groepaz has decided that he will keep control of this thread, or any other in which I might try to start a collaborative project, until he manages to get it closed or turns it to worthless garbage.
perhaps if you wouldnt be so obsessed with turning down anything that doesnt match your personal needs, and then start lamenting about unrelated PLA nonsense or whatever else, they wouldnt fill up with what you call "garbage" so quickly.

whats the point of discussing this anyway if you already know what to do? just do it then.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Put the darn MOS CPU on the darn accelerator!

As for PLAs, for the second time, you 1st mentioned them. I was just answering to what you said...
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

looks like we have reached the peak of the discussion, well done.
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote:looks like we have reached the peak of the discussion, well done.
You always have an imperative need to have the last word, huh?

If your intention was to make a positive and constructive contribution to this potential project you would have noticed that it was determined 4 years ago there is not enough room in some VIC-20, especially those with PET style keyboards, to put an accelerator directly on the CPU socket.

For this reason, the solution was to have the accelerator as a cartridge and tap the missing lines with a small adapter on the CPU socket.

If one really wanted to have the ability to switch the accelerator to a MOS CPU, all that's needed is another cartridge with the normal CPU on it. You could even add a 32k+3k expander on that alternate cart and many other things. Will I make this cart? never - but you could
Be normal.
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Will I make this cart? never
that sums it up, i guess
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

groepaz wrote:
Will I make this cart? never
that sums it up, i guess
Absolutely - I owe you nothing
Be normal.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cue BROS!!! I owe you nothing... ooo errr... nothing at allllllll...

And on that note, <Scousers> Calm down, calm down! </Scousers>
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by mrr19121970 »

I think your English humour is lost on people outside the UK who didn't grow up with Brookside and later on Harry Enfield.

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yes, but that was half the point :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...