Vic-20 Cart info.

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

kc2ykn
Vic 20 Newbie

Vic-20 Cart info.

Post by kc2ykn »

I have the following carts and I would like to make a ROM image of them to share with others if possible.
UMI Wordcraft 20 (16k ROM)
UMI ViTerm B [16__]
Kantronics Hamtext Client for amateur radio.
AEA-SOFT MBA-Text VIC-20 PROM Ver 1.0 SYS40969 to start

I also have a cart for a C-64 called Mini-Jini which was a database program. Is it possible to make a ROM copy of it and have ot run on a Vic-20? The instructions reference the Vic more than the C-64. Any help would be of help/
Thanks,
kc2ykn
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I have the following carts and I would like to make a ROM image of them to share with others if possible.
Concerning Wordcraft, generally, the answer to your question is yes.

However, as with all things in life, there are exceptions.

Only a close inspection by qualified people can tell if there is some form of special copy protection in there.

This Wordcraft probably has a manual in which it may be indicated how to use this cart along with memory expansion and this may reveal exactly what memory areas it uses.

The other cart, on the other hand is for the 64 and should be considered incompatible.
Last edited by eslapion on Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: Vic-20 Cart info.

Post by Bacon »

kc2ykn wrote:I also have a cart for a C-64 called Mini-Jini which was a database program. Is it possible to make a ROM copy of it and have ot run on a Vic-20? The instructions reference the Vic more than the C-64
A ROM dump of a C64 cart will not work on a VIC 20. The two computers use the same microprocessor (more or less) but the memory layout, screen addressing and size, etc., are very different between the two. This means that the program would have to be rewritten before it would run on the VIC.

Assuming it's a machine code program, you'd have to disassemble the program, find out what every part of it does, rewrite everything that would have to be done differently on the VIC, and then assemble it into machine code. This would be quite an undertaking. Similar things have been done before so it's not impossible, but you'd need a very good understanding of 6502 machine language as well as of the architecture of both computers in order to pull it off. Not to mention a lot of spare time to devote to the project.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.