New game: Takeover

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

New game: Takeover

Post by orion70 »

Hello there, I had some spare time last week, so here I am with the VIC version of a C64 classic in strategy: Humphrey Walwyn's Takeover. Please download the game disk and instrucions HERE (VIC +16K).

For your convenience, I paste the game description below:

Code: Select all

TAKEOVER

In this game you attempt to take over the government headed by the evil president Xerxes. The game is played on a city map which features streets buildings. you are the rebel forces and the government is played by the computer. Points are gained by capturing key buildings and the first player to reach 35 points is the winner.

You and i each take alternate turns. Each turn consists of four consecutive moves. if either is unsuccessful in any move, play reverts to the other. At each move you may either:

1) Try to take over a building square. Each building has a traditional political leaning, loyalty and pro/anti government bias but this will change as the game progresses according to your popularity. The more popular you are, the better the chance of a building coming over to your side.

2) Try to take over a street square; this will also help you to take over buildings at a later date. It will also help stop government forces from advancing too far. Taking over a street square is only possible if you already occupy more surrounding squares (up to buildings or streets) than the opposing colour. Grey neutral squares do not count. The more squares you occupy surrounding a building, the more chance you have of overcoming resistance in a building.

Some buildings are particularly important since they can alter the course of the game if you occupy them. These include: 

the radio station (R)
 the newspapers office (N)
 the cathedral (C)
 the bank (B)
 the hospital (H)
 the airport (A)
 and xerxes' palace (X)

The radio station, newspapers and cathedral are the most important buildings to hold but you will probably never manage to capture xerxes' palace!

Before each turn, one of these buildings may release a newsflash which may be damaging if it is held by enemy forces.
To help you find out if a building may be ripe for capture, you have a free option to examine intelligence reports by pressing 'f3'.

The points for capturing or successfully resisting an attack on a building are printed on the front of the building next to the letter of identification. Each time a building changes hands, the popularity chart will be affected.

Each game will be a different scenario. Not only will the city map be changed, you can choose whether you wish to be left or right wing. Remember that the allegiances of each building will be different. It all depends on your political colour as well as the government's politics and strength.

Watch out... The government will play a mean game! No one likes to suffer a TAKEOVER.......
Have fun everybody! :D
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've played the C64 version a fair few times in the past... nice going :)

I see the alteration of the government building for senate prompted a change for the shopping centre to a library ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yep, I was looking for shorter names due to the 22 columns - besides, invading a library is much more impressive than a shopping centre, which is normally invaded every saturday :D .
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Looks good on VICE. I think I may make this my next project for WinTZX. So that I can hopefully load it by tape.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I have read the thread - a real tape version would be great :) .
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I just double checked the file type; as it's .d64 I don't think it can be transferred by WinTZX. I will need to create a PRG file using a program such as WAV-PRG. Once I have the PRG file, hopefully WinTZX may work its magic.

If you remember the skiing program from the type ins you were listing (Duesi?), I converted that in this way (both stages), and it has loaded, but I get errors, maybe something in the conversion process.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've found a couple of bugs...

1) Xerxes is spelt Xerses in at least one point in the game.

2) If you try to takeover a building that belongs to the opposition and fail, it appears to re-add its value to the opposition total again (so if the opposition have 25 points and you fail to get the police station to swap to your side from the opposition, the opposition total now jumps to 30 instead as it appears to add an extra 5 to the total).

Having checked the C64 original, bug #2 appears there as well. Presumably the same applies to if the Government tries to convert one of your properties and fails. The statements involving P3 and G3 will need looking at. I might have a look at it later if I have time...

EDIT: Believe I've fixed the bugs, an updated version can be gotten here.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you very much Mayhem, now at the appropriate link you find the bug-fixed version :D .

I guess re-adding the score for the failed takeover was because the government had to fight for the building twice (one to conquer it, and one to defend)?

Cheers!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The scores should just reflect the total of the values of the buildings that each side own. I don't know if this was an intentional feature to re-add the value if there's a failed attempt, but it doesn't seem fair to me; it stifles you having a go to try taking over a building if you know you could be punished like that.

For those who haven't played the game before, here's a few pointers and tips to get you going... the game might seem basic on the surface, but it does have a degree of complexity underneath.

1) The alignments you pick at the start determine which buildings are more likely to sympathise with your cause. Xerxes' Palace is obviously always against you, and the Jail is always for you (because presumably it contains all of Xerxes' enemies!). If you are right wing, then the military and police are more likely to side with you. If you are left wing, then the university and trade union are. Institutions such as the bank and airport start off backing the Government regardless of alignment, and the newspaper/radio usually favour you regardless.

Because of this and the point value of the military base, playing as a left wing coup tends to be slightly harder, but if you get the radio and newspaper, then it can balance itself out (see later).

2) For the first two turns, most of your moves should be activating buildings. You can't take streets until you have bases to work from. If you need to take a street next to a building to "persuade" it, then do so. Usually after two turns I have 5-6 buildings activated, and 2-3 streets. Taking any building increases your popularity and can persuade other buildings to join your cause too. Cross roads can be very important, and can halt any early opponent insurgence. Naturally where your buildings are will then determine your strategy from then on; hence it can be different each game.

3) After each turn, certain buildings make a broadcast. While not important early on due to a lack of troops on the streets, having the radio and newspaper becomes vital later on to possibly swing the tide, and get troops to change sides. These two are by far the most likely to make a broadcast than any other building, belying their low point value. The cathedral can also achieve similar but it is less likely to broadcast. Xerxes' Palace is the other main troop turner, but there's little you will be able to do about that most of the time; if you do ever capture it, you're pretty much going to win anyhow.

4) Street battles are like Risk. You need more of your squares surrounding the target than the opponent to win a square. This is why holding a building is very important, as it has eight degrees of influence. Holding a vertical line of your own squares from top to bottom is pretty much impenetrable. Then it can be a question of slowly working an angle through the opposition squares and occasionally relying on a troop turning broadcast to provide an opening to exploit.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you very much Mayhem for this in-depth analysis of the game. Indeed, I thought it was simpler, but playing at higher levels can be VERY complex and challenging :wink: .
I would add that sometimes when a building is requested to join, it decides to join the opposite side instead, because of popularity, and this is a very nice "by popular demand" effect.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Update - Mike provided me with a small but effective utility to merge the title screen and the game, so that I could create a one-file version of the game, on disk, as a TAP file, and as a simple PRG. Thanks again Mike, your help is always precious, and it will ease 16KVIC20's work :) .
I also created a version for black and white / green on black monitors like mine, in which the colours of each side are more discernible (and different enough from black):

Links:

One-filed game (PRG) (DISK) (TAP)

B/W game (PRG), no title screen

Links in "new software" thread also updated :wink:
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Thankyou everybody. Yes, that will certainly make conversion alot easier. I'll try to get to it on Monday, if not before.
PhilRanger
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by PhilRanger »

Finally had time to play several games today. I like it, thanks!
Phil Ranger
-------------
"Don't eat the trees 2" for the VIC 20 : http://www.box.net/shared/u398kj0nr0lkauzm1k67
on line: http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic2 ... otrees.prg
PhilRanger
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by PhilRanger »

I couldn't help but notice that waiting for the computer to play is a bit longer than what I'd like. Would you like help to translate the slow loop to assembly?
Phil Ranger
-------------
"Don't eat the trees 2" for the VIC 20 : http://www.box.net/shared/u398kj0nr0lkauzm1k67
on line: http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic2 ... otrees.prg
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well, I'd like to, but since I don't know assembler it would be all your work :oops: .