VIC-20 video problem

Discuss anything related to the VIC
allst-half
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC-20 video problem

Post by allst-half »

Hello members of Denial.

Just wondered if any of you people could help me a bit. It's about the VIC-20 and the strange screen appearance when playing carts.

I have 2 different VIC-computers and 4 original games, and it seems the problem are exact the same on both machines and on all games.

The screen looks normal when no cart is inserted, the picture is centered and no disturbances registered. When a cart is inserted the picture are in the upper left corner of the screen, never centered. There are pieces of left side of the game disappearing because of the positioning.

I have tested this on 2 different TV screens. 1 LCD 20" Sony and 1 50" LG plasma TV, and with a scart video connection cable.

I'll be glad to hear any comments from anyone on this issue!
Thank you!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

You can probably recenter the image using the cursor keys when the game is at the start screen.
(You probably have a EU VIC and American games.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

In other words, this is perfectly normal. Use the cursor keys to center the screen, or in some cases, use the joystick.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
allst-half
Vic 20 Newbie

Thank You!

Post by allst-half »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It worked! Thanks a lot!
llcameron
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by llcameron »

Why did some games support doing this and not others? Is this the programmers attempt to support both PAL and NTSC with only one cartridge?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

All games released my Commodore (I think?) in Europe was like this. They only made one version, with the NTSC position as default, and adjustable to PAL.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)