CBM prg Studio

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: CBM prg Studio

Post by Kakemoms »

ajordison wrote:Does your source code have a start address in it (like *=$1000)? CBM prg studio will look for a start address in the source before it tries to form an address from the machine type.

Also, this program assembles fine on my version:

00001 0000 *=$1000
00002 1000
00003 1000 D5 00 CMP $0000,X ;DOES NOT ASSEMBLE BUT GIVES AN ERROR.
00004 1002 DD 00 10 CMP $1000,X ;ON THE OTHER HAND ASSEMBLES OK.
00005 1005

Have you turned the zero page optimisation off? Even if you have you will only get a warning, not an error. Can you post the error here?
Sorry late reply. I changed it to CMP $1F000,Y... but CMP $0000,Y still gives an error:
CBMprgstd-error.png
I also found a bug in the Character editor. If I change color 2 or 3 in multicolor, the same color changes (color 3 [11]). That is when I reopen a saved character set. If I fill in new pixels using color 2 and 3, they seem to be swapped around (e.g. selecting color 2, paints color 3 in the pixelmap).
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Another bug is when I work with several files. As you can see from the picture in the last post, the tabs are almost totally hidden by the top icons/menu.

And a feature request :roll: : If one could set the "top module" when hitting the compile and run icon, I wouldn't have to go back to the main file each time I have made a small correction and want to see the result..
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Never mind the footy, CBM prg studio v3.13.0 has been released. See http://www.ajordison.co.uk for details.
Try out CBM prg Studio over at www.ajordison.co.uk
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

I have problems seeing dialog click boxes. E.g. I can't choose any options when the program gives me a message. In fact, I can't even start a new project for some reason:
cbmprgstu.png
So I revert back to an earlier version to see if that helps. Top menus are still overshadowing parts of the editor tabs. Maybe its my Win7 settings or something.

And its version 3.13.0.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Never seen this before. Are other apps working properly? I had a quick google around and found this:

Check to see if your Windows Display settings scale is set to the default of 100%.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

ajordison wrote:Never seen this before. Are other apps working properly? I had a quick google around and found this:

Check to see if your Windows Display settings scale is set to the default of 100%.
My scale is always set to 150% so I can read the display. At 100% its almost impossible for me to read it.

I am also having difficulty in arranging a basic program before an assembly program. Its am unexpanded Vic-20 setting with Basic (supposedly from $1000) and an assembly program from $1B00. If I go into options, the assembly appears before the basic. I can rearrange that on the screen, but it goes back to assembly first if I click any button on the screen (including "Ok").

Is there a workaround?
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

I tried this and it works OK. I have a small basic program:
Capturebas.PNG
Capturebas.PNG (3.17 KiB) Viewed 17892 times

and a small MC program:
Capturemc.PNG
Capturemc.PNG (2.47 KiB) Viewed 17892 times
and I set the project settings like this:
projprops.PNG
When I build the project everything's in the right place. I can take a look at your project if you send me it.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Reopening the program, deleting the assembly and basic programs, then adding them again seems to have fixed something. Because then I got them compiled and put into the right locations... :shock:

Before that, the assembly program would compile into the correct location, and it would simply stop with an error (red line) before trying to do the basic program..

Still, I got "out of memory error" when running the program in VICE. If I load the assembly program first, then the basic program, it would run fine..

After some examination I found that this was due to the LOAD "",8,1 command. Apparently it puts basic variable pointers to the end of the loading area.. after the assembly program.

The obvious fix was to put the assembly program right after the basic program.. to get some space for variables at the end... and it works. :D

PS: If I change the assembly program after a "generate project and launch", then the next "generate project and launch" will give me the same result without the changes in the assembly program. Is there some buffer that is not cleared? Relaunching CBM prg studio seems to give me the latest assembly program.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

I am using CBM prg studio a LOT and I really like its environment. Its essential to get things compiled quickly and tested on my Supervixen expansion that is being developed.

I recently started using the internal debugger as well, and its a nice tool, but I miss one thing: finding the memory location of a tag or variable. Am I just missing something or... can I add it to the wish list? :roll:

PS: remember to support Arthur for this really efficient assembly environment.
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Kakemoms wrote:...finding the memory location of a tag or variable. Am I just missing something or... can I add it to the wish list?
Yes you can, that's a good idea.
Kakemoms wrote:PS: remember to support Arthur for this really efficient assembly environment.
Couldn't agree more :D
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Kakemoms wrote:
ajordison wrote:Never seen this before. Are other apps working properly? I had a quick google around and found this:

My scale is always set to 150% so I can read the display. At 100% its almost impossible for me to read it.

I am also having difficulty in arranging a basic program before an assembly program. Its am unexpanded Vic-20 setting with Basic (supposedly from $1000) and an assembly program from $1B00. If I go into options, the assembly appears before the basic. I can rearrange that on the screen, but it goes back to assembly first if I click any button on the screen (including "Ok").

Is there a workaround?
I just upgraded to 3.13.0 on my garage PC (Win7), and since its a 3840x2160 screen I have always ran Win7 under 150% scale. Its still quite tiny :P

I don't remember what version I had here, but apparently the disappearing labels is something that has happened with later versions. Because after upgrading, there is no label showing on the top at all. All of them are overshadowed by the menu.
I can't revert either, because the older version complained about some branches (well, most of them actually) and I could not compile the 3000-line code with it. Anyway its deleted and I can't find any "older versions" page on your web. The version I overwrote seems to have been from around January 2016..

Edit: I just found a workaround: Move the output window to above the edit window, and the file labels appear. 8)
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

A small error in the debugger:

Code: Select all

LDX  #2
     STA $FFFF,X
This crashes the debugger (and the program suite) with an exception error. This is under V3.13.0
Linzino
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Linzino »

Is CBM PRG Studio still under development?
I have tried to contact Arthur multiple times but I have got no reply in two months.
The Geek on Skates
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by The Geek on Skates »

Hey, just wanted to say thanks to ajordison for this awesome bit of software! It's so good I'm finding myself booting into Windows a bit more just to mess with it and learn what it can do. I can't wait to learn 6502 Assembly better so I can actually use it to create games! :)
ajordison
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by ajordison »

Kakemoms wrote:A small error in the debugger:
Thanks for that, it's been fixed.
Linzino wrote:Is CBM PRG Studio still under development?
Yes it is, though it nearly wasn't! I've had a very long break from developing it as I got fed up with it to be honest and nearly walked away, but I've had some encouraging words from other users so now it's back under development.
The Geek on Skates wrote:Hey, just wanted to say thanks to ajordison for this awesome bit of software!
Thanks for your kind words, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.