.WAV file transfer

Discuss anything related to the VIC
pc1
Vic 20 Newbie

.WAV file transfer

Post by pc1 »

Hi i am new to the forum,and would just like to ask a noob question.Could anyone recommend software that will convert .prg files to .wav,so i can transfer to tape.I have tried one but the Vic failed to detect any signal on the tape.I have been linking my BBC B to PC via serial for years ,would a cable be a better bet?.Also the cost of the disc drives seems a little steep,can i only use the 1541?.Thanks Paul.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Hi and welcome!

Your best bet is probably one of the SD2IEC interfaces, for example Jim Brain's uIEC which sells for $55. It uses an SD card to store .prg files or disk images so you can easily transfer programs from your PC or Mac to the SD card and load them into the VIC with the standard Commodore disk commands.

You can also get a 1541 disk drive for $10-$20 if you look around a bit on eBay and such places. Then you'd need a cable that connects between a PC's parallell port and the 1541 to transfer the programs to disk.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

Hello!
pc1 wrote:...I have tried one but the Vic failed to detect any signal on the tape.
Was it WAV-PRG?
If so you may want to try the meathod below until you can get a device such as the ones describeded by Bacon.

But first make sure the .prg file fits your ram configuration, is a stand alone program that doesn't need to load other files from a disk, and is the same video format as your Commodore. Either PAL or NTSC.
Files designated for unexpanded VIC require no ram expansion. 3k files need a 3k expansion, *only*. 8k, 16k, 24k, 32k, require those expansions at minimum.
You may want to get the file running in an emulator such as VICE first to quikly determine ram requirements, see if it's worth transferring to your real VIC, etc.

Once your sure of those things, you can proceed.
This meathod for WAV-PRG requires no analog tape recorder and is faster and more reliable.

Needed items:
Commodore Computer with Datasette
PC with audio out jack
WAV-PRG
audio casette adapter like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassette_tape_adaptor
(I've never had any problem using one of these with my equipment.
but as it's a nonstandard device for the Datasette, you use this meathod at you own risk.)

Optional:
ram expansion
long audio extension cable; 1/8" phone with 1 male end and 1 female.

Set up your Commodore with the correct ram expansion required by the .prg, if any.
Place it near the pc (or plug your casette adapter into the extension cable if you don't want to move it). Put the casette adapter into your Datasette and it's phone plug into the pc's audio out jack.

In the pc open WAV-PRG. and select "Convert a PRG ...etc to a TAP or WAV".

In the next window change:
Output format to Kernal loader for C64/VIC-20,
Output to WAV file. (often more reliable than the sound card option)
Hit OK

Next select your .prg file and hit Open.
"C64 name" is not needed here.

Name and save the file as a .wav.

Open the file in your media player and check the volume. It should be low to medium. Too loud or soft and the Commodore won't be able to load it.

At the Commodore, type "LOAD" + [RETURN]
Press "PLAY" on the Datasette. The Commodore says "SEARCHING".

At the pc, click "PLAY" on the media player.
After a few seconds, "FOUND" should appear on the Commodore's screen. Then "LOADING".
When it says "READY" you can save or run the program as normal.

If you get an error, make sure the ram configuration is correct, then try adjusting the volume on the pc. Also, a given .prg may be corrupt.
It's important that there be a long enough leader tone at the beginning of the .wav file. (the steady high-pitch tone at the start).

Once you have the file in memory, just pop in a real casette (or floppy disk) and save.

Hope this helps
It took me weeks to learn how to do this the first time around. :)
-rwv01
Last edited by rwv01 on Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pc1
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pc1 »

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply,your instructions are quite detailed, so even I can follow them.Cheers.
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I've heard that some computers need the wav to be inverted to get a proper signal. Don't know if the converter has that option.

Volume can also be very different between computers, sometimes it needs to be set to maximum volume for it to work. Start out low and raise until you get that FOUND message. If you get nothing at all even with max volume try and see if there's a setting to invert the wav or sound output.

There are also programs that emulate a diskdrive on the PC so you can connect a cable between the C64 and PC, it's handy to some people and can be a pretty cheap solution.
My other interest: http://channelf.se
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

That sure beats my method...I used to convert Wav files into Raw format on my PC, hook up my modem on my Commodore, call myself and then transfer it from PC to Commy that way...LOL.
:D
Learning all the time... :)
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Any way that works is good I guess... that method sounds complicated...
My other interest: http://channelf.se
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

There is a an "Inverted waveform" setting under Advanced Options.
My VIC doesn't need it, but If your's won't load without it, give it a shot.

You'll surely want to look into other ways of transfering files sooner or later. Ultimatley, you'll want to be able to use disk images and real disks.
You can't do that with this meathod, but there are lots good games you can get this way, especially right here on this site! The good thing about this way is don't have to build anything, and you may even have everything you need already.
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

darkatx wrote:That sure beats my method...I used to convert Wav files into Raw format on my PC, hook up my modem on my Commodore, call myself and then transfer it from PC to Commy that way...LOL.
:D
You mean by playing it into your phone?
That's resourcefull! :)