New Release: Doom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Kweepa wrote:Cool video! The only thing I caught was "aber cheatcodes" :D
Jeff-20 wrote:I love the sound of German.
Here's a rough rendition of the conversation, with translation:

Code: Select all

"Haben wir hier 'nen Ego-Shooter auf'm C64 oder was?"                                "Do we have an Ego-Shooter on the C64 here, or what?"

"VC20."                                                                              "VIC-20."

"Auf dem VC20! Ach du jemine!"                                                       "On the VIC-20! Oh, my goodness!"

"Wenn schon, denn schon."                                                            "Let's go the whole hog."

"Und mit richtig - äh - Scrolling. Das ist ja wohl nicht ..."                        "And with real - eh - scrolling. That's just not ..."

"Mit Gewalt, ja!"                                                                    "With Violence, indeed!"

"Mit Gewalt, ja! Ach das soll auch noch Doom sein, oder?"                            "With Violence, indeed! Oh, and this is also supposed to be Doom?"

"Ja, ja! Hört man doch an der Musik!"                                                "Yes it is. You could tell from the tune!"

"Ich seh's eher an diesem - äh - Typen, der sich da ... umguckt. Ja, is' ja cool."   "I'm rather judging by this - eh - dude, who's ... looking around. Yes, that's cool!"

"Die Idee, Doom auf'm ... VC-20 zu machen is' schon krass. Hahahaha!"                "The idea to make Doom ... on the VIC-20 is really wicked. Hahahaha!"

"Aber ich kenn' die Musik tatsächlich nicht."                                        "But I really don't know the tune."

"Gab's denn bei Doom überhaupt Musik?"                                               "Did Doom have any music anyhow?"

"Ja, ja!"                                                                            "Yes, yes!"

"Mit WASD und so ... das' ja bescheuert!"                                            "With WASD and so ... that's really crazy!"

"Alles dabei."                                                                       "Everything's there ..."

"Hmm, hmm."                                                                             

"Auch mit Cheatcodes!"                                                               "... even cheat codes!"

"Heh!"
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

While packing my VIC for Revision I noticed I must have used an older version of the doom.d64 there, since I could still switch the charset with C=+Shift. So maybe the hang-bug is due to that older version.

I will try the recent one at the Revision and keep my fingers crossed.

Also some weeks ago while programming the FLI96-mode I converted the Doom Box Cover.

Download

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Ooh, that's awesome!
:D

(And thanks for the subtitles, Mike!)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Kweepa wrote:I've been working on fixes for bugs in Vic Doom, and planning the technology for the sequel.
Sequel? :shock: Doom 2? Quake? Call of Duty?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I haven't decided where the sequel will draw its levels.
What I'm planning is variable floor and ceiling heights. To achieve this, I'm going back to a block-based raycaster, so all the walls will be at 90 degrees. Unfortunately that means that a lot of Doom levels in Episodes 2 and 3 are not good candidates. I might just revisit Episode 1. Or, I might pull together 10 levels or so from Doom II. Then I'd have to implement a lot of other enemies... but the code savings from doing raycasting (several K) might allow that.
Alternatively, I could skip Doom altogether and apply the tech to my planned RPG, influenced by Ultima Underworld.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Sounds very interesting and promising. Anoher FPS-game I remember fondly from back then is Star Wars: Dark Forces. The background story and music would make this a sure winner for a VIC-homebrew :mrgreen:
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I say make up your own story. You've certainly got the imagination for it. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

I am a great fan of ultima underworld! I would love to see something similar on the Vic.
I think its one of the most important and innovative games ever. More than doom, that's to say :-)
Long live Lord British!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Yeah, Underworld was one of my favourites. Amazing, given that it came out before Wolfenstein. If you haven't listened to the looking glass podcasts you're in for a treat.
Dark Forces would be fun but I might have to do it on the C64 - I can't imagine it without greyscales.
I have a story arc lined up for an RPG. I'm leaning that way now... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Kweepa wrote:Yeah, Underworld was one of my favourites. Amazing, given that it came out before Wolfenstein. If you haven't listened to the looking glass podcasts you're in for a treat.
Dark Forces would be fun but I might have to do it on the C64 - I can't imagine it without greyscales.
I have a story arc lined up for an RPG. I'm leaning that way now... :)
The VIC-20 needs more of these. Do it!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

As part of the SHIFT - RESTORE - ESCAPE series of lectures at the Humboldt University in Berlin Dr. André Fachat presents the VICE-emulator. Take a look which game he shows for the VIC-20:

YouTube-Link
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Cool, thanks!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Kweepa, is there any chance of this getting a proper release, at all? I know that Doom is still and active IP but I'm pretty sure it would fly under the radar and even if it was noticed I can't see John Carmack giving a toss if it was sold 'not for profit'. You've even got the inlay art ready to go!

I can't think of anything cooler than my two favourite game things (the VIC and Doom) coming together like that!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Good Idea - I would buy it to support a Victims of Doom charity ;-)

I remember the 386->486 upgrade rush due to Doom.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Or in the U:UW style, you could do a system shock sort of game as a sequel.