New Release: Doom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

No, the ammo you get depends on what you need most. I might change this later. I might also add other pickup types (ammo box, clip).

It would be possible to change the soldiers up a little. I think I have space for the extra textures for the sprites. I should really... gah!

Oops, I think I forgot to include the weapons in the pickup count. That would explain the 111%. Will fix. [EDIT] Fixed.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Chainsaw and fists have sounds and do damage!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I think I'm done. Made some tweaks over the weekend, but I don't have room to add weapon graphics or extra graphics to distinguish troopers and sergeants without major revisions.

So there's a release candidate up! (Without loading screen for now. I'll add it later.)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Great! I'll give it a thorough beating :)

- Noticed that CLEV-cheat-code isn't working.
- just had it running while typing 2 soldiers came really close, but when directly in front of me they do not do anything but wait for me to kill them ;-)

Regarding release: Have you thought about releasing this (even as a remote entry) for an upcoming demo-party? Revison 2013 is coming up, it has a "Game Compo" where often retro-releases for Atari 2600 and Gameboy are made. Here's some video of the 2012 Game-compo. Wouldn't it be great to have VIC-Doom shown on a 6x4 metres screen in front of roughly 800 people? There are always live streams as well with lots of more people watching. Would be a nice outing for the VIC as well.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Kweepa wrote:I think I'm done...but I don't have room to add weapon graphics or extra graphics to distinguish troopers and sergeants without major revisions.
What?! :shock:

Lies!!!

Now back to work or this forum and its members will burn your feet! :twisted:

LOL. All I have to say is a big thank-you for all the fun.
Well Done! :D
Learning all the time... :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

tokra wrote: - Noticed that CLEV-cheat-code isn't working.
The game pauses until you press a number from 1-8.
- just had it running while typing 2 soldiers came really close, but when directly in front of me they do not do anything but wait for me to kill them ;-)
Hmm, I'd better fix that. :)
Regarding release: Have you thought about releasing this (even as a remote entry) for an upcoming demo-party?
That would be pretty cool, yes. I'll look into it!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Fixed troopers not shooting at close range.
Put in a "BACK" menu item to make menu navigation easier.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Kweepa wrote:Fixed troopers not shooting at close range.
Yeah, better now. However I noticed just now that enemies will only hit me when I see them. If I turn my back on them they won't shoot me. Don't know if it was this way before.
Put in a "BACK" menu item to make menu navigation easier.
Hehe, was able to break this quickly. If I use "W" to go up in the menu the "Back item" will appear, if I then push down it will display the level-selection. With some navigating around I was able to break the character-definitions. Maybe you just need to de-activate the "W" key?
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

What about this?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I think I misunderstood that code before, but I have it in now (not in the uploaded code yet) and it works a treat! Thanks!

Doh on the menu stack overflow/underflow. Will fix that too.

As for the enemies not shooting when you're not looking at them... if they are not in the same sector as you and you can't see them, they assume they can't see you. Maybe I should call it Ostrich Doom. Now you've brought it up I suppose I'll have to fix it. If I can find the space. I've already eaten into the C stack more than I feel comfortable. I should see how much of that stack is unused.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

New version with slightly faster rendering (thanks TNT!); improved AI line of sight checks somewhat; and 'BACK' button fix.

I couldn't repro your menu navigation crash. Any tips on how?
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

The 'BACK' button fix also fixed the navigation bug.

I noticed something very strange just now. Happened twice when I tried. I played a little of level 1 the CLEVed to level 8. After fighting the bosses for about 10-20 seconds (they chased me into a corner, maybe I wasn't facing them) the game freezes. I can't put in any commands, not even cheat-codes. Strangely just the music keeps on playing, so the machine isn't hanging completely, obviously.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Hmm, that sounds bad.
I tried three times to repro that with no success. If you get it again (and you're playing in VICE) could you press Alt-M and PM me the program counter?
I'll keep trying, meanwhile.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Hang-bug re-occured after a few minutes of play. PM sent.

A few more things I noticed just now:

When I'm being blocked in a corner by enemies (likely in level 8 as well), I can just turn 180 degree and move backwards to get out of trouble. A variation on the "ostrich"-theme :)

When completing the game (killing the two big badasses) and starting a new one I still have all the weapons from the previous game

When completing the game in the next game the final door will still be a door and not turn into a switch after killing the two badasses (or "raspberry ghosts" as we used to call them back then)

Hey, I noticed you made fist/chainsaw switchable, forgot reporting this earlier!

As said, I'm giving this one a good beating, but I'm sure there are some things I will be missing, no other testers around?
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I honestly don't know how you're breaking it all the time...LOL.
No real issues...that extra frame per second makes a difference in the responsiveness and playability!
My only issue is with the fireballs being fired by the Imps being only displayed every other frame. Sort of teleporting towards me. I think that happens only when there's more than one enemy present at a time.
Other than that the game plays even better than ever...
Learning all the time... :)