New Release: Doom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just letting you know I have done a full run-through (all 8 levels, although in God-mode) in VICE today. Did not notice any strange behaviour or hangs. So it looks like the stack overflow bug is gone. Only thing missing was automatic weapon-downselect? Or did you find/fix other bugs in the last few months?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Awesome! Thanks for checking!

I did notice a hall of mirrors type bug looking into the secret room near the start of E1M5, but perhaps the best option is just to remove that room. It's pretty tightly squeezed in there.
Also, I got > 100% items once. Not sure why. That doesn't seem like a showstopper though.

Pshaw to automatic weapon downselect! :)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Kweepa wrote:I did notice a hall of mirrors type bug looking into the secret room near the start of E1M5
Ah, yes, found that room. I can walk right through the combat armor and stepping back I am in hyperspace. Maybe hide the secret room elsewhere and make it larger?
Pshaw to automatic weapon downselect! :)
Well... if you put in the flamethrower I might forgive mssing downselect ;)
Edit Jun, 2nd: Meant the rocket launcher, of course...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Kweepa, is there any chance of this getting a proper release, at all? I know that Doom is still and active IP but I'm pretty sure it would fly under the radar and even if it was noticed I can't see John Carmack giving a toss if it was sold 'not for profit'. You've even got the inlay art ready to go!

I can't think of anything cooler than my two favourite game things (the VIC and Doom) coming together like that!
Bumping this comment in the hopes that Kweepa will address this.

I think he could call it VOOM and release it as a package alongside his other games.

I'm getting Kenz to put out a Psytronik release of my games that I've done from 2010-2013 soon (Theater of War, etc).
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

John Carmack said he'd seen the game and it made him smile.

But I don't think he's the owner of the IP any more, and I don't really want to risk getting sued :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Kweepa wrote:John Carmack said he'd seen the game and it made him smile.

But I don't think he's the owner of the IP any more, and I don't really want to risk getting sued :)
I remember a thread over at Atari Age about this issue. Someone was working on a port of Pitfall! for the Atari Lynx and David Crane (yes the David Crane) posted and said that while he didn't have a problem with it Activision had a responsibility to pursue any copyright infringement (whether it affected their financial interests or not) or they would forefeit the right to further legal protection in the future.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

You'd probably get a Cease & Desist warning before any of that...but you're right - it's not worth the hassle. IMHO, having your 8-bit's grand-daddy smiling down upon your proud creation is payment enough :)
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:

You'd probably get a Cease & Desist warning before any of that...but you're right - it's not worth the hassle. IMHO, having your 8-bit's grand-daddy smiling down upon your proud creation is payment enough :)
True, but did NAMCO ever bother to sue the makers of VIC-MAN? :)

It's a long standing tradition for 8 bit computer adaptations of popular games to change the title a little so that it passes under the radar.

Another suggested title: VIC VICEM.

These VICiverse titles practically write themselves!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

After receiving my 35k expander by the ever amazing Eslapion, (and after a nasty ordeal of RL) I finally got a chance to play Vic Doom on real Vic and it looked and sounded great...better than the emulator.

Awesome stuff again!

:D
Learning all the time... :)
yellow_lantern
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by yellow_lantern »

Ghislain wrote:
Another suggested title: VIC VICEM.

These VICiverse titles practically write themselves!

Castle VIC-enstein?
We miss Miki.
Looking for a Commodore 16
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just wondering since the game looks 99.9% done and Doom's 20-year-anniversary is coming up on Dec, 10th 2013. Wouldn't this be a good date to declare this "released" with whatever fixes or improvements there still may be until then? I think some sites/media are still holding back on reporting on this until it's promoted out of beta-status.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Yes, it definitely would.

I'm super busy at work right now, but I fully intend to get it done by that date. And to add a lovely loading screen :)

And to make a full release video, showcasing all features - clips of all weapons, music, enemies, pans over maps, etc.
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Kweepa, is there any chance of this getting a proper release, at all? I know that Doom is still and active IP but I'm pretty sure it would fly under the radar and even if it was noticed I can't see John Carmack giving a toss if it was sold 'not for profit'. You've even got the inlay art ready to go!

I can't think of anything cooler than my two favourite game things (the VIC and Doom) coming together like that!
Isn't it perfectly allowed to make Doom-based games?
Id made it open-source:
https://github.com/id-Software/DOOM
Great of them to do so.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

In another thread, Kweepa wrote:I removed the secret in Doom that was screwing up a level, but I haven't integrated the loading screen that Mike sent me. I need to make it load the game when you press a key.
Would the main program of VIC Doom (temporarily) fit into memory behind the already loaded splash screen (i.e. after ~$2100)?

In that case, I could provide you with an adapted version of the splash screen I sent you, which would display the intro screen, wait for - say - 2 seconds, then loads the main program behind itself (keeping the splash screen displayed as true loading screen), copies the executable down to $1200 and starts it from there.

Just an offer. ;)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Mike wrote:Would the main program of VIC Doom (temporarily) fit into memory behind the already loaded splash screen (i.e. after ~$2100)?

In that case, I could provide you with an adapted version of the splash screen I sent you
Thanks very much for the offer!

[EDIT] Yes, I could make that work. It doesn't quite yet - it's $6251 in size - but I can pull some more code into the MIDCODE segment that gets loaded after startup. I could also stick a chunk of code into $1400-$1800 and then relocate it. That might be more efficient, if more confusing.

Alternatively I could just compress the prg. I think that's probably a better option.
[EDIT] Done - latest is on github. Exomizer reduced it from 27.3k to 14.5k. :)