New Release: Doom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Kweepa wrote:32k isn't enough!
You need an expansion that fills the 3k in block 0 and the 8k blocks 1,2,3,5.
I think the only new expanders that will work are the MegaCart and the Final Expansion.
Sorry :(
D'oh :oops:
Vic20-Ian wrote: ...For your next project may I suggest porting N64 Goldeneye ? :shock:

I was thinking that it'd be easier changing all the textures and sprites and making a version of Dark Forces.
Learning all the time... :)
jeremyon1
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jeremyon1 »

:D :D :D :D Kweepa, I just figured out how to run the .D64 with my uiec and Megacart. You are the Vic-20 KING!!!!!!!! You have done what I considered totally impossible. You are the Vic-20 MIRACLE MAX. I'll take more pills please! Rock on, man!!! I was so excited I had to update the Doom and Vic-20 Wikipedia pages. I'm just giddy over this!! By all means you need to get us a Star Wars game. How about a port of Atari Star Wars Arcade vector game? I bet you could easily do it!
Last edited by jeremyon1 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just played around with this a little today. Wondering about the difficulty settings: Do they just change the amount of damage an enemy does affect? Or does it have any other impact?
jeremyon1
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jeremyon1 »

:D :D :D :D How about a complete list of keyboard controls for this game? Thanks! Wow.... wow.... wow....!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nevermind... I'm a dufus. There's a menu screen in the game that lists the controls. Man, what else is packed in there!!!!! Awesome!!!!

Now if I can just figure out how to open that hangar door... :roll:
jeremyon1
Vic 20 Newbie

What's the Beef?

Post by jeremyon1 »

What's the Beef about what programming "should" be done on a VIC-20? This really baffles me. Sure, in the '80s all of us "poor" kids had to contend with the VIC, a datasette, and some cartridges while watching the "rich" kids show off their C64s. Bottom line is this - Commodore designed it, so if it runs on VIC-20 hardware, then it's real VIC-20 software. What if no one ever wrote a program with custom characters and just used ASCII and keyboard graphics because "that's the only way to make a "real" VIC-20 program"? If that was the case, we wouldn't have gotten Radar Ratrace, GORF, and Omega Race directly from Commodore! Whether you use a tape, cartridge, floppy disk, or uiec, it's just a storage medium. I had a 32K expander and 3K expander for my VIC in the 80s and was always aggravated that I didn't have much more than 16K Temple of Apshai, 8K Ricochet, and 8K Aztec Challenge to show off. Aztec Challenge was also mostly ASCII and keyboard graphics too! Anyway, current development is just the kind we would have seen for the VIC-20 if the C64 wasn't released until 1985 and the video game crash of 1984 had never happened. If it runs on standard VIC-20 hardware as originally designed, then it IS REAL VIC-20 software. I don't care if you have to develop it on the latest supercomputer. Even if it uses the last byte pulled out of the VIC's arse, if it runs, even with full expansion and constant running of the disk drive, then it's legit. As a matter of fact, this is the first game that actually gets me my money's worth out of the VIC-20. Since I have actually played Doom on my real VIC-20 with memory expansion and disk drive, its a real (and the finest!) game ever developed for the VIC-20. Just how hard would C64 owners laugh at you if you said that there were no real C64 games unless they are loaded from a tape? This game rocks, period. I am finally getting to use that memory expansion that I paid mega minimum waged earned bucks for way back in the 80s. It sure has taken a long time to earn it's keep! I hope to see a lot more of this activity! We've got it made today! At least I don't have to wait 20 minutes for this to load just to get a load error from the tape!!! Arrrrrggghhhh! Those WEREN'T the good old days. There has been a LOT of talent put to use developing new tools like the emulators, MegaCart, Final Expansion, and uiec drive for the VIC-20, so let's make sure that talent isn't wasted. Programmers, keep blowing the doors off the VIC limits!
jeremyon1
Vic 20 Newbie

I love the VIC

Post by jeremyon1 »

This rocks!
jeremyon1
Vic 20 Newbie

So, just how close is the official release????

Post by jeremyon1 »

Kweepa, awesome! So, just how close are you to official release?
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

tokra wrote:Just played around with this a little today. Wondering about the difficulty settings: Do they just change the amount of damage an enemy does affect? Or does it have any other impact?
I think it's higher damage and quicker reaction time. I remember looking up WAD editing back in the day and I think that different difficulty also changes enemy/pickup quantities and placements as well :?:
jeremyon1 wrote:This rocks!
Yes, it does! :D
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Thanks for the enthusiasm, jeremy :shock:
Please don't change the wikipedia entries. They'll just get changed back, and leave the editors with a bad opinion of the VIC-20 community.

Difficulty settings in Vic Doom just affect the damage done by enemies and the damage done by the player. I think that's it. I was tempted to reduce the number of enemies in half randomly in the easiest difficulty level...

I'm on holiday at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to concentrate on the remaining bug. (I did get a chance to write a couple of games for the comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition though...)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just showing and playing this at the "Connected"-party near Hamburg, Germany. Mostly I get the astonished comment "Oh, Doom on a C64?" - which I quickly have to correct for even more astonishment :-)

Anyways, was just playing this and on level "Command Control" roughly exploring the level for about 80% I got the hang-bug again with just the music playing and the rest of the machine locking up. Sadly I could not produce a snapshot since I was playing on the original machine. Maybe still stack overflow?
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

tokra wrote:Just showing and playing this at the "Connected"-party near Hamburg, Germany. Mostly I get the astonished comment "Oh, Doom on a C64?" - which I quickly have to correct for even more astonishment :-)...
Hell yeah, now that's what I'm talking about... :mrgreen:
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Here you can see me playing Doom at the Connected party 2 weeks ago.

The game seems 99.9% finished now. Are you still chasing that hang-bug, Kweepa? I'll try it some more on VICE so I can send you another snapshot file when this happens again.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I got distracted by the CSSCGC and now by a big deadline at work... thanks for keeping the flame alive!
Please do send me another snapshot if you hit it again. I might try to rework some things to make life easier. I think I can simplify things to make it less likely to break.

Cool video! The only thing I caught was "aber cheatcodes" :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Off topic: GI Joe has an amazing setup! I love the sound of German.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Jeff-20 wrote:Off topic: GI Joe has an amazing setup! I love the sound of German.
...this forum definitely needs a LIKE Button :D