FE3 Inspector: browse FE3 memory

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

zutman
Vic 20 Newbie

FE3 Inspector: browse FE3 memory

Post by zutman »

Hi, all. I have written a memory browser for the Final Expansion 3: FE3 Inspector.

It is a memory and mode browser for the Final Expansion 3, so it enables you to get a 'feel' of how it works. You can view/navigate/edit data in memory, also FLASH memory. It also allows you to wipe your FLASH memory totally clean, so be careful!

Documentation and explanation is here

http://vic20.nl/site/vic-20-releases/36 ... ector.html.

Yes! I have a new VIC-20 web site. You can also find there:
  • - FE3 screensaver clock
    -NV, a file navigator for IEC devices.
I hope you'll like it!

(Should this be in software releases? It is very FE3-oriented, so I thought...)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

A very nice and helpful tool!

Thank you for that :D
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: FE3 Inspector: browse FE3 memory

Post by nbla000 »

zutman wrote:
  • -NV, a file navigator for IEC devices.
I like the interface you have used for your program, if you want you may try my similar program, CBM-Filebrowser with D64/D71/D81/M2I "mount" support and memory auto configuration to load for example a 3k/unexpanded program from a Vic full expanded.

I will soon add support also for D41 and DNP file images according with latest sd2iec firmware 0.9.1 version.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Also the two other programs are very nice. The screensaver clock make me thinking about a extension for the FE3 firmware to support "screensaver" after a time of inactivity ...
zutman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zutman »

nbla000 wrote:
zutman wrote:
  • -NV, a file navigator for IEC devices.
I like the interface you have used for your program, if you want you may try my similar program, CBM-Filebrowser
Hey! That's cool, with the moving screen. Never thought of that one. Also, we both tried to solve the multi-load strategy. Let's make a deal here: If I borrow your moving screen technique, you may use my autoloader. :D

I wrote mine originally to browse the Ultimate 1541 from the VIC-20, first version dec 2008. So I have never tested it thoroughly with the uIEC (I currently have two installed: one built in into the case, and one on the FE3). There may be some bugs here and there: it will not recognise the d64's which the new sd2iec version now supports. Maybe I will find some time to fix and test it now vic20.nl is live.
zutman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zutman »

Diddl wrote:Also the two other programs are very nice. The screensaver clock make me thinking about a extension for the FE3 firmware to support "screensaver" after a time of inactivity ...
Feel free to copy/borrow (I do not have to say that, do I?). Most of the clock code is spent on drawing the big numbers, and creating the character sets. So if you want to keep it light, skip that part and use normal characters.

BTW: the main reason for writing the Inspector was to understand how the FE3 works, with the AMD flash chip on it and how the different modes actually interact. I think the FE3-design is elegant, well thought out. A concept to implement a flash file system is brewing in my mind... ah the smell of vaporware!
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

zutman wrote:
Diddl wrote:A concept to implement a flash file system is brewing in my mind... ah the smell of vaporware!
A Flash file system would be really nice.

Also a RAM Disk ...

... or better a D64 simulator in SRAM.

I'm dreaming from a Utility:

+ read 1541 disk or D64 (on µIEC,SD2IEC) into SRAM

+ write SRAM to 1541 disk or D64 (on µIEC,SD2IEC)

+ write RAM Disk to Flash

+ read RAM Disk from Flash

+ emulate LOAD,SAVE,B-R, B-W,U1,U2 from the RAM Disk
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

zutman wrote:Hey! That's cool, with the moving screen. Never thought of that one.
My program is a derived work from the original C64 sd2brwse by nojoopa now discontinued, all credits for the moving screen are for him.
Also, we both tried to solve the multi-load strategy.
My multi-load strategy could be better but it's functional.
Let's make a deal here: If I borrow your moving screen technique, you may use my autoloader. :D
It's strange, I like your interface and you like my interface :lol:

Yes you may use the code of CBM-Filebrowser has you want, just add a note in some place readme/sources/site btw if I may choose, I'm interested in the auto re-load function SYS288, maybe also the autoloader but I need to figure how it works yet.

I wrote mine originally to browse the Ultimate 1541 from the VIC-20, first version dec 2008. So I have never tested it thoroughly with the uIEC (I currently have two installed: one built in into the case, and one on the FE3).
The FE3 uses the SD2IEC btw both uIEC and SD2IEC share the same firmware.

There may be some bugs here and there: it will not recognise the d64's which the new sd2iec version now supports. Maybe I will find some time to fix and test it now vic20.nl is live.
The current CBM-FileBrowser works with all file image supported by the firmware except d41/dnp but I've already successful tested the next version with these file images too, I just wish to improve it a bit before to publish it :wink:
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

While we're at it, what about merging the best of both file browsers into a fancy version running in the Vic GUI? :)
I've already borrowed some code by adding the scanline sync method from rhurst/Mike to "unflicker" the cursor (not released yet). Presently, I haven't much time left, but in a few weeks I'd like to start file browsing for the GUI and you have already put a lot of work into disk access, etc., so I'd be delighted if I could "borrow".
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:While we're at it, what about merging the best of both file browsers into a fancy version running in the Vic GUI? :)
Yes, this is cool 8)
so I'd be delighted if I could "borrow".
No problems for me as for zutman just add a note in some place readme/sources/site.

OT: which are hardware requisite for your Vic GUI ? may it run on Mega-Cart for example ? I will release a new Mega-Cart firmware version and your Vic GUI will be a nice addition :wink:
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

nbla000 wrote:OT: which are hardware requisite for your Vic GUI ? may it run on Mega-Cart for example ? I will release a new Mega-Cart firmware version and your Vic GUI will be a nice addition :wink:
Right now it's PAL-Vic-20+16k. Without being useful. More to come... ;)
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

zutman wrote:Also, we both tried to solve the multi-load strategy.
I do not recognize how you have solved the multi-load strategy :?

My CBM-Filebrowser detect the file start address and for $2000 $4000 and $6000 file images, it will auto restart the browser to allow the user to load the $A000 file or simply exit.

In addition if the user loads a $A000 file, the browser start it with a "clean" reset instead of a RUN of course.

May you explain how you solved this question ?
Kananga wrote: Right now it's PAL-Vic-20+16k. Without being useful. More to come... ;)
OK, 16k is not a problem for Mega-Cart btw feel free to contact me in PM if you need further info about Mega-Cart integration.