What OS are you using at home?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

What OS are you using most of the time at home?

Windows 7
21%
Windows Vista
18%
Windows XP
36%
Other Windows
No votes
Fedora
No votes
Mandriva
No votes
OpenSUSE
4%
Ubuntu
4%
Puppy Linux
No votes
Other Linux
4%
Mac OS X
7%
Mac OS Classic
No votes
Amiga OS 4
No votes
Amiga OS Classic
4%
CBM Basic V2
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Boray
Musical Smurf

What OS are you using at home?

Post by Boray »

Time for an updated OS poll...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I'm still using Windows XP. At the moment, it's quite adequate for my needs.

In the long term, I'm thinking about Ubuntu. From what I've seen of Vista, I don't like it very much and I can't imagine Windows 7 being much better.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10. Need Windows 7 for my career (can't control my DG700 pressure flow gauge with anything but MS), like Ubuntu 9.10 because I've always liked alternative operating systems. Thus, I dual boot.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Windows 7 most of the time - and most of the time it has worked just fine.

My other OSes are (used less often):
Puppy Linux,
Windows XP,
Dos 6.2
BASIC V2
Whatever the OS in the Atari ST is called (shows I hardly use that at all)
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Linux as the host; XP as a guest -- I will never run Windows on bare metal again.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

What about CPM 2.2 ?
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

pitcalco wrote:Whatever the OS in the Atari ST is called (shows I hardly use that at all)
That would be TOS (alternately referred to as "Total Operating System" and "The Operating System" but everyone really knows it stands for "Tramiel Operating System") with the Digital Research's GEM as the GUI.

6502dude wrote:What about CPM 2.2 ?
I guess that would be "Other". :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

That would be TOS (alternately referred to as "Total Operating System" and "The Operating System" but everyone really knows it stands for "Tramiel Operating System") with the Digital Research's GEM as the GUI.
Ah, that's it! Thanks Golan. How could I forget?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

So, what's the general feeling about Windows 7? Is it a viable successor to XP? And is there much difference from Vista?
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I voted Other Linux because I use Kubuntu 8.04. Although an official alternative version of Ubuntu it's different enough to be considered a separate OS imho.

Other, less often used operating systems:
  • Eeebuntu (on my EeePC, used almost as much as my main machine)
  • Windows XP (Needed for the occasional game and for managing the sounds and OS in my Nord Stage Compact)
  • Ubuntu Studio
  • Commodore BASIC V2
  • Commodore BASIC V3.5
  • Commodore BASIC V7
  • MOS TIM (in my Micro-KIM)
  • Sinclair BASIC (in my ZX Spectrum+)
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Windows xp. But I still use Word Perfect 12. I hope to get a new computer soon, I'm waiting for a really good netbook.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Windows XP for me. I hate the fact that there is a virtual (read: actual) monopoly in the OS market but the fact is I have tried other OS's and they just don't do everything that I want of them.

I own a Mac with OS X and MorphOS on it, I run Amiga OS 3.9 through emulation and I have a second PC dual booting Vista and Ubuntu but all of these OS's, while having certain favourable features, let me down one way or another...

XP allows me to use a decent browser (Chrome) for the 'net. I can download a ridiculous amount of software that doesn't require arcane knowledge to install. I can easily run a wireless network and I can also use good, fast media players to watch movies and listen to music.

OS X I have found to be, shall we say, unfriendly with a smile on it's face. MorphOS is lighting quick but the internet browsing sucks. AmigaOS is also super quick (and I still love the old Miggy!) and it is great for running old games etc but kinda lacks modern features. Vista is just a piece of shit - a complete resource hog which constantly hangs and has major compatibility issues, even with Microsoft products! Ubuntu, well, it seems nice on the surface but after spending days and days trying to get ZDoom and DoomRL (not the most demanding games!) running on it, failing then trying to play music but finding that I had soundcard problems and the network card wasn't really working properly and only getting shirty and patronising answers on various forums I gave up... For the record, to get DoomRL running under XP requires THREE mouse clicks!

So, as much as I hate the idea of Windows and Bill's business model there just isn't a real alternative out there for me... :(

*Ramble ends*
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Vista is just a piece of shit - a complete resource hog which constantly hangs and has major compatibility issues, even with Microsoft products!
Vista is really fast for me. It never hangs and everything works... The few times I've tried XP on the other hand; Nothing worked and the system worked incredibly slow. But I think there must have been something wrong with those computers. Viruses or something.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Pretty much split between Windows XP and AmigaOS 3.x (running in UAE on the PC). I don't think I'll upgrade for a while yet - those two do everything I need to.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ral-clan wrote:Pretty much split between Windows XP and AmigaOS 3.x (running in UAE on the PC). I don't think I'll upgrade for a while yet - those two do everything I need to.
Was it you who marked Amiga OS Classic then?