I bought a BBC B rev 7

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

I bought a BBC B rev 7

Post by matsondawson »

It's got way more than a vic20...

but for some reason, I don't like it as much. It doesn't enthrall me... why?!

BBC has 2Mhz 6502, same 2 Via 6522's, 32k of ram, 80 column modes, hardware scroll and page flipping, a decent 4 channel sound chip with envelopes. Outputs and inputs for africa. It even had sockets for speech ics.

So why oh why doesn't it appeal to me as much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Micro
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: I bought a BBC B rev 7

Post by gklinger »

matsondawson wrote:It doesn't enthrall me... why?!
Lack of nostalgic feelings perhaps?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Good question.

I had one of these in my formative years, so I love it.
Chuckie Egg, Killer Gorilla, Cybertron Mission, Castle Quest, Citadel, Thrust, Frak!, Twin Kingdom Valley, Elite, Repton.
Classic games all!

Perhaps you need to write a js emulator for it?
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I'm the same. We used these machines at school and I've spent a lot of time on them but somehow I feel very little connection with them - as much as I loved the Repton games!

Perhaps my negative time in school has tainted my relationship with the Beeb somewhat as years later I managed to borrow a fully expanded Electron and I had great fun with it. Nostalgia's a powerful thing... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I've wanted one of those since I first heard of them a few years back. If it weren't for lack of space and time to play with more computers than I already have I'd buy one off of ebay in an instant.

I've played with a BBC emulator once in a while, and it sure is a great machine with a much better BASIC than any other home computer I know of from that era – it even has an in-line symbolic assembler with some neat features. Just to clarify: That's a real assembler with labels (and macros?) and all, not a mini-assembler like the ones you usually find in machine code monitors for the VIC and C64.

I'd probably feel much same as you about it though, since there wouldn't be any nostalgia.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

I did spend a few years programming them when I was young so it should theoritically have nostalgia value, but I think what's wrong is....
1/ It hasn't got a palette with some decent colours, just standard primarys and secondarys.
2/ It has no sound output to TV.
3/ It's too big.
4/ It's ugly (subjective I know)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

matsondawson wrote: 1/ It hasn't got a palette with some decent colours, just standard primarys and secondarys.
Yeah, that sucks. Particulary the waste of colours 8-15 as flashing colours!
2/ It has no sound output to TV.
Hmm. There must be something wrong with your machine/setup. It definitely outputs sound to TVs.
3/ It's too big.
4/ It's ugly (subjective I know)
Meh.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

The BBC Micro never really had a market in Italy, so for a while I was curious about this strange little (?) machine... But after having tried the emulator, I realized that it lacked something: I never heard about it when I was a teenager.

Developing the VIC's capabilities is a way to worship one of the deities of my youth :wink: .