Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

theSmiths
Vic 20 Drifter

Ghostbusters

Post by theSmiths »

Ghostbusters on the spectrum :lol: :oops:
Yeah that was rubbish.

But then again alot of the spectrum games in my opinion were not all that fantastic...
The Vic-20 didn't try to be what it wasn't ....In my eyes the spectrum tried to be better than it was(even though i loved my old spectrum)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

You're talking with Commodorians, so we all agree with you :wink: .
A bit OT in the "VIC games" section, I'm afraid :P .

Moved to "Other systems".
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

I think that "old days" vic programmer followed a "kind" of pattern when converting games from other platforms and this made them seem too "viccy" (if I can use this term)... if they tried to learn vic deeply a lot of conversion would have been done much better, and maybe almost everything could have been ported to vic, as it was made on spectrum some years after... what do you think about that?
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

From what I've seen, there aren't many games on the Spectrum that couldn't have been made for the VIC. The problem with the VIC was limited memory -- a problem that has largely been solved with the Mega Cart.

I have a zx32 emulator, but my only acquaintance with the real thing was when I was in hospital with Asthma as a kid. They had a Spectrum in the children's ward and I spent hours trying to get a crappy tennis game to work. The Spectrum has always looked rather cheap and ugly to me.

If you think Ghostbusters on the Spectrum is bad, see the Atari 2600 version. For me, the best version of this game is on the Sega Master System (run on a Z80 processor instead of a 6502).
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

At the risk of going full circle and making this thread OT again, wouldn't Ghostbusters be a great game for the (possibly unexpanded) VIC-20? I think it's a really fun game and it's made up of some very simple parts. In fact it could almost be done in BASIC.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

WOW! That would be GREAT! It's got to be one in the to-do list.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

orion70 wrote:WOW! That would be GREAT! It's got to be one in the to-do list.
Having a quick think about it, I've got a reasonable amount of what I'd need sprite-code-wise wrapped up in Carling The Spider, it might not be such a huge undertaking. I'll have a think about it as a side project, it would be nice to stay in touch with the VIC side of things seeing as Carling II is going to the C64 :oops:

In terms of memory, I think it would depend what sort of conversion people want. If you can make do with coarse sprite movement I think an unexpanded version is viable (and it wouldn't play THAT differently would it?) If you want free moving sprites it might be a bit of a squash to have that code and all the logic code for the various parts of the game in unexpanded memory. Maybe my soft-sprite code is just ridiculously fat on the other hand :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

jdxpolygon wrote: In fact it could almost be done in BASIC.
anything can be done in basic.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I'm no expert, but I would probably go for 8K and machine language. Ghostbusters can be a pretty fast game when all the action builds up.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Jeff-20 wrote:anything can be done in basic.
I'm going to make an all BASIC, unexpanded version of Omega Race for you guys just to prove it's possible. Of course, the game play will need to be modified, but it's possible.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

That sounds like a challenge...I'm up for it...maybe even make it 20 lines if I can.

(And just when I perfected the Universal BASIC stub, too.)
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

Jeff-20 wrote:
jdxpolygon wrote: In fact it could almost be done in BASIC.
anything can be done in basic.
I suppose what I should have said is, it could almost be done justice in BASIC on an unexpanded machine, you couldn't say that of every game.

I'd love to see it done unexpanded, but the benefit of say 16k or even 8k expansion would be to provide (nearly) the same experience as on the C64. I suspect the music would be missing from an unexpanded version which would be a big loss...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

jdxpolygon wrote:I suspect the music would be missing from an unexpanded version which would be a big loss...
And for the music...

...Who you gonna call? ...

...Carlsson! :P
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

... Who you gonna call? ...
:lol:

But without the music, what's the point? The game would be utterly boring.

I agree that any "derivative" can be written in BASIC, if that is the objective. The end result cannot stack up against Omega Race (or any other arcade-like video game) game play -- any such claim is false bravado. But I like seeing all the creative attempts -- go for it!

A little OT, but why is unexpanded so important? Back in the day, it was deemed important, but that was short-sighted thinking too. C128 and Amiga suffered terribly for publishers promoting software for the "lowest common denominator" in stock C64 and Amiga 500 configurations.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

rhurst wrote:A little OT, but why is unexpanded so important?
Maybe because programmers much prefer coding to design? ;)