My 1541U

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

My 1541U

Post by Iltanen »

It's working like a dream, yes. But I still haven't figured out how to load VIC programs with it. It's connected to my C64's user port.
I must lazy and stupid since it probably very easy
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

First off, the 1541U plugs into your 64's expansion port not the user port but I suspect you got the names mixed up as the genders are different and the 1541U wouldn't fit in the user port. Anyway, plug it in the expansion port and then run a serial (IEC) cable from the VIC-20 to the 1541U. Turn on your 64 and then turn on your VIC-20. Use the 1541U's on-screen menus to select the d64 with your VIC-20 software. When you get to the 64's BASIC screen, switch over to your VIC-20. Type load"$",8 and the 1541U will respond. You have just turned the 64 + 1514U into a disk drive for your VIC-20. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Yeah I got 'em mixed up, I don't know much about the C64.

But that's C64 put to a good use, as a disk drive for VIC
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Honestly, it seems like a waste to use a 1514 Ultimate exclusively as a disk drive for the VIC-20. Full 1541 emulation (for lack of a better word) is only of value when using software that reprograms the drive and I don't think very much (if any) VIC-20 software does that. You'd probably better off with a device like the uIEC which is a lot less expensive.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Well, I do use it with my C64s also and I think it's worth its price.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Oh, I agree. I've been extolling its virtues for ages. I got the impression you weren't a 64 user. You're going to enjoy it.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

gklinger wrote:Full 1541 emulation (for lack of a better word) is only of value when using software that reprograms the drive and I don't think very much (if any) VIC-20 software does that. You'd probably better off with a device like the uIEC which is a lot less expensive.
Some of the recent demos (Robotic Liberation, etc). do program the 1541 in order get the "streaming" speeds. I've tried them on my uIEC and they don't work, as expected.

For 99% of VIC uses though, the uIEC is perfect!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Schema wrote:Some of the recent demos (Robotic Liberation, etc). do program the 1541 in order get the "streaming" speeds.
That's interesting. We have got to give Robotic Liberation a go. I never bothered as I only have NTSC VICs but if you've got a PAL one...
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

I wasn't able to run Robotic Liberation and many other demos on my VIC.. I'm such a newbie. I managed to run Impossiblator 2 but Impossiblator 3 didn't work.. the loader routine got stuck. I understand what the problem is but cannot fix it.

And how about the next level? It's a single d64 file, how can I manage it? I have seldom used disk drives so excuse me and my dumb questions
jokker
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jokker »

Just for those who might not know in relation to using the VIC-20 with the 1541U, here is a great little app for navigating the contents

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/ind ... 44&catid=9

another happy owner of a 1541U
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

jokker wrote:Just for those who might not know in relation to using the VIC-20 with the 1541U, here is a great little app for navigating the contents
I mentioned that here. It's definitely worth checking out.
zutman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zutman »

gklinger wrote:
jokker wrote:Just for those who might not know in relation to using the VIC-20 with the 1541U, here is a great little app for navigating the contents
I mentioned that here. It's definitely worth checking out.
Hi. Yup, that's me, the author. (Or should I say: "I wrote that!" 8) )

The app is feature complete, but still contains one bug: the BASIC relinker call after a file has been loaded mangles the loaded BASIC program. Haven 't had time to look into that; but a manual reload will fix this at the moment.

Maybe somebody here will look at the offending load&run code, and easily spot what I am doing wrong:

ERROR = $C437 ; BASIC error routine
RUN = $C871 ; basic 'RUN'
CLR = $C659 ; basic 'CLR'
RUN_NEXT = $C7AE ; basic WARM start

ldx $2b ; load address
ldy $2c ; load address
lda #0 ; load, not verify
jsr $FFD5 ; LOAD
bcs error
pla
pla
jsr CLR
jmp RUN
error tax ; load error code
jmp ERROR ; print error
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Do you mean the Basic program won't start properly after loading? Perhaps some of the pointers are not set accordingly after from the Kernel LOAD routine. It has been discussed before in various threads and in addition to $C659 and $C7AE some more call(s) may be in order. Search the forum for those addresses and you'll find some old threads.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

zutman wrote:Hi. Yup, that's me, the author. (Or should I say: "I wrote that!" 8) )
Then I guess you've already checked it out. :)
Clockmeister
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Clockmeister »

Schema wrote:
gklinger wrote:Full 1541 emulation (for lack of a better word) is only of value when using software that reprograms the drive and I don't think very much (if any) VIC-20 software does that. You'd probably better off with a device like the uIEC which is a lot less expensive.
Some of the recent demos (Robotic Liberation, etc). do program the 1541 in order get the "streaming" speeds. I've tried them on my uIEC and they don't work, as expected.

How about the prg at
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=10626
It's a 16k version that is emulator friendly, but does that work on the real thing using uIEC?