Graf cart - got to go to France to get it

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

ianoid
Vic 20 Newbie

Graf cart - got to go to France to get it

Post by ianoid »

Just trolling the international eBays since the dollar is a bit stronger, saw this -
http://cgi.ebay.fr/2-ORDINATEUR-COMMOD ... 240%3A1318
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Sends to France métropolitaine only. :cry:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you want a VIC Graf cartridge, I know someone who has one to sell. Dunno how much a loose cart is worth though.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wow....those VIC-GRAF cartridges are extremely rare in North America (I've never even seen one up close). Can anyone provide good scans of the box art, or has there ever been a ROM dump?

Is this a Handic product? What product number?

And last of all....what in the heck does VIC-GRAF do? Is it a graph plotting application?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

There seem to be two different "VIC Graf", one from Commodore and one made in Sweden by Datatronic.

Searching this forum and googling around:
Carlsson wrote:Peter Karlsson owns VIC Graf
(who's that guy? Which version does he have?).

Italian ad with a Commodore cartridge named "VIC Graf":
http://www.1000bit.net/lista/dati/commo ... c20_ad.jpg
- also cited in this thread

Announcement of the VIC-Graf cart by Commodore in Compute! isse 34 / march 1983.

Swedish site citing the Datatronic cart, with a picture:
http://www.softwolves.pp.se/cbm/minaburkar/vic.en.html

Also, Bo Zimmermann seems to have a copy of one version (which one?), as per Mayhem in this post.

Now, I lost track of everything. Are the two versions similar, or the same with different labels? Is there a ROM dump and/or executable prg for any of those two versions? Is there any scanned manual somewhere? :?:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

They are probably the same. Commodore did release a few Handic titles on their own label for Vic20 and C64.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Handic = Datatronic?
Handic = Datatronic = Commodore?

Anyone has the ROM(s) and/or the manual? Mayhem?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Don't have Graf sadly... I've got Stat and Forth myself. What is interesting is that in all the Handic carts I have for the Vic20, only these two were manufactured by Datatronic (as per label). The games say made by Handic.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I thought I posted this before, but I guess my message was lost:

does anyone know the HANDIC/DATATRONIC product numbers for these cartridges? The Denial Wiki lists them in the Cartridges article, but the product numbers are missing.
mostlyharmless
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by mostlyharmless »

I have a swedish manual for VIC Graf that could be scanned if there is interest.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Mayhem wrote:Don't have Graf sadly...
OK, I found the ROM here, but also in Zimmer. I thought it wasn't available in the Internet; it's only incorrectly named Graph instead of Graf.
Mayhem wrote:I've got Stat and Forth myself. What is interesting is that in all the Handic carts I have for the Vic20, only these two were manufactured by Datatronic (as per label). The games say made by Handic.
Here the owner of a VIC Graf cart says
I also got two cartridges with it, one is a Programmer's Aid, and the other one is VIC-GRAF (shown here). The Programmer's Aid cartridge looks just the same, but says "Made in Sweden by Handic Software AB" (instead of Datatronic). Both of them have the Datatronic logo with the text "handic" beneath them on the back, though (with the d surrouning the screw).
The program definitely needs a manual.
mostlyharmless wrote:I have a swedish manual for VIC Graf that could be scanned if there is interest.
If you could translate it... :wink:
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

orion70 wrote:Handic = Datatronic?
Handic = Datatronic = Commodore?
Handic was a Datatronic subsidiary (or if it was the other way around, can't remember). Handic was the official distributor of Commodore products in Sweden from the late 70s until Commodore set up its own subsidiary in Sweden, in 1986 I think.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Datatronic bought the distribution rights to Commodore in c:a 1977. I think Handic was some sort of half state owned company that Datatronic also bought to become the reseller. Handic sold com radios and other various electronic equipment.

All the Handic games/utilities were developed by Datatronic, which sold the games (A World at War, Bridge etc) under the Handic label and the utility programs (VIC Graf, Stat, Forth) under the Datatronic label.

Actually you can find some of the Commodore cartridges like Jelly Monsters in a Handic silver edition. Why they reissued it, I don't know as it is supposedly programmed by HAL in Japan...

But back to the topic, there was a person at Retro Gathering who had boxes full of random stuff, including one loose copy each of VIC Graf and Graf 64. I don't think either got sold, but maybe they are now.

Actually I now remember having seen two different editions of VIC Graf, or if it was VIC Stat. One international one in English, and one in Swedish. I may even have uploaded a dump of the localized one.

As for the model numbers, I can look those up in an old catalogue when I get home. I think I have sent those to Ward and/or Mayhem a couple of times through the years, but perhaps those details have got lost since neither of these cartridges are games. I know as much that Datatronic's VIC-FORTH was sold as VIC-202 (Jim Brain writes VIC-2012 but that may be a US model number). I think GRAF and STAT were 201 and 203, but I can't recall in which order.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll also check my carts when I get home tonight. And yeah I have a few of the Handic/Commodore reissues here: Star Battle, Jelly Monsters and Sargon Chess spring to mind.

Why did Handic reissue anything perhaps? I've got a Handic C64 version of Jeff Minter's Gridrunner (originally released by HES in the US) in my collection so anything's possible; wasn't just Commodore's own.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps the demand was so big that Commodore could not manufacture to all markets. It seems Datatronic had nice facilities for cartridge production, so while being an official distributor and very close partner with Commodore (e.g. one of very few regions where localized computers were officially sold), it kind of makes sense to reissue Commodore's own cartridges. Not sure about HES though, but perhaps they had some agrement with them as well.

I do have a small batch of circuit boards of the kind Datatronic used in their 8K VIC-20 games. Those boards, as I wrote in the Bridge thread, take 2x 2732's; possibly 2532 too although it has a different pinout. I also own one larger board that seems to have solder points for some RAM chips + two 24-pin slots. Perhaps it was used for Datatronic's release of Super Expander. However I haven't seen any Datatronic board that takes 2764 chips, as indicated by Pelle's dump of the Bridge game.
Anders Carlsson