8 inch disk drive

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

8 inch disk drive

Post by Iltanen »

I bought some 8 inch disks because they look cool, and I think I could use them to return my homework (Could I bring my homework on a diskette, please?) or something. Question is: Could I ever get an 8 inch disk drive to work if I bought one?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Re: 8 inch disk drive

Post by gklinger »

Commodore made a dual 8" drive called the 8280. I suppose you could use that on the VIC-20 if you could find or build an IEEE interface.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I'm impressed you found an 8" disk! That is old school indeed.
I would love to use them just for the nostagia effect.

How many K could be stored on an 8", I think it was 64K - not sure.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The capacity depends greatly on the kind of 8" floppy disk: hard or soft sectored etc. The "modern" 8" disks had a capacity somewhere around one megabyte per floppy disk, I think.

Actually the Shugart bus is pretty much the same so you should be able to connect a generic 8" floppy drive to a PC. Then there is the matter few or no BIOSes support those drives, and I believe you'll have a hard time finding a Windows driver too - perhaps DOS or Linux?

On another forum, I read that the development of the CatWeasel has been renewed, and that controller card should in theory be able to read and write many different 8" formats.

As for Commodore drives, I've read on SWoC that Commodore made at least three or four different models, but perhaps the 8280 was the only one to go into mass production while the others were more of prototypes.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Go here for storage info: Table of 8-inch floppy formats
I remember first discovering that these existed in a thrift store. I never imagined such a thing was possible! Wait until you find the elusive 12 inch floppy... :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Yeah they look funny these days. Surprisingly common on ebay, I thought they'd be more rare. 10 $ for 10 unused ones, not bad IMO.

I wonder if those 12 inch diskettes really existed. I have never even seen a picture. I would love to have one, it would be a real rarity

I'm more and more interested in older computers.. my next great buy will be an Altair 8800. Preferably an unassembled one for christmas holidays.. Just kidding, but has anyone seen Altairs being sold?

Or a replica of the difference machine. Why on earth aren't they mass produced

Suppose I found and were wealthy enough to buy that Commodore disk drive. Could I get it to work with the IEEE interface cartridge?

Wonder if this thing ever pays itself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Squareholepunch.jpg
Last edited by Iltanen on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:I never imagined such a thing was possible!
When 5.25" floppy was introduced it was referred to as "mini-floppy".

I think I still have a couple 8" floppies around. They came from a DEC PDP-11 system.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Back in the 80's, I knew a guy who did graphic arts for his business; he had a very elaborate setup including a very sophisticated printer that was huge! All of his data was stored on these 8" disks, and I was fascinated by them, having only just recently being exposed to the 5.25" floppy.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Athana still sells NOS 8" floppy disks. They have the manufacturing tools for producing new 5.25" and 3.5" disks, while the 8" are kept on the shelves from before.

I suppose any Commodore IEEE-488 drive will work on the bus. At least I have managed to get "regular" 2031, 3040, 8050, 8250, 9060 and Corvus hard drive etc to work on a VIC-20 with a IEEE-488 interface.
Anders Carlsson

RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Iltanen wrote:I wonder if those 12 inch diskettes really existed. I have never even seen a picture. I would love to have one, it would be a real rarity
One type of 12-inch floppy, from the VCF in 2005:

http://www.dickestel.com/images/expo72.jpg

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Does anyone remember those wierd 5-1/4" like floppies used by the original Apple Lisa's?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think the drive was called Twiggy?
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What's the point of the extra index hole?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

carlsson wrote:I think the drive was called Twiggy?
Yep. There's good information about the oddity here.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Supposedly those floppies had enough differences to allow Apple to patent it as an unique product. OTOH other than suppliers of Lisa software and any potential clone manufacturers, I can't see why anyone else would like to use the same kind of floppy drives.

Anyway, floppy disks with dual index holes (not openings for the R/W head) are handy for certain single sided floppy drive systems if you want to flip the disk. My BBC Micro suffers from this. I'm not sure if my disk drive actually is double sided or not but I think the 8271 FDC can only handle single sided 40 or 80 track disks. Therefore I can only format one side on each floppy unless I cut a hole in the jacket for letting the drive see the index hole after flipping the disk. This is not a problem with Commodore nor Atari as those don't seem to check for the index hole anyway.
Anders Carlsson