Firewire to USB 2.0? It's TRUE!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

PaulQ
undead vic

Firewire to USB 2.0? It's TRUE!

Post by PaulQ »

One of the things that has kept me stuck with a desktop for so long is the abundance of cheap video hardware; I can add firewire ports and video in ports for relatively little money, then move the hardware over whenever I upgrade. Many modern notebooks don't offer Firewire or an expansion port; and those that do are either quite expensive or are lacking in something else I'm after.

I picked up the Pinnacle Studio Moviebox today for a little over $100:

As far as I'm concerned, the video editing software included is worth $100; but what caught my eye was the video input device. What it is is a device that takes any video signal and converts it to work with USB 2.0. No big deal; what impressed the heck out of me is that it features a Firewire port. This is important to me, as I have a Firewire camcorder.

I admit, I was skeptical at first. Surely, it can't be done? Firewire to USB 2; they're completely different. I was utterly amazed to discover that it worked perfectly and flawlessly. I'm a believer in high speed USB now. Now, if you excuse me, I have a new toy to play with. :D
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

I suppose it is slower than real Firewire? Is it fast enough?
Our holy mission is doomed to succeed
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

You know what, I was skeptical about that as well. Could it keep up? Perhaps there would be a lag, or some choppiness. Maybe it wouldn't be in real time.

I was suitably impressed that it functioned every bit as fast as the dedicated Firewire PCI card in my desktop PC for pulling real-time video off the camcorder.

Here, see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1jpfctbWA
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Thank you very much for the demonstration. :)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Wonder-Boy wrote:Thank you very much for the demonstration. :)
Did you really watch it?

Views: 0. Heh.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Yes, I did watch it. I don't know why it says 0 views. I watched it again now and it still says 0 views. I didn't write a comment on Youtube because I could reply in this thread. Well now it says 8 views.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I'm just funning. I watched it too (as evident by the screenshot) so it should have at least indicated there had been 1 view.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.