Ancient School - new VIC20 demo!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Sdw
Vic 20 Drifter

Ancient School - new VIC20 demo!

Post by Sdw »

I have now released my first VIC-20 demo called 'Ancient School'. 16kb expansion required!

Download here:
http://sdw.webhop.net/prods.html?prodid=51

Some classic 'old school' demo stuff. Technical details:

* 512 dots per frame plotter, running in a double-buffered 96x160 pixels screen.
* 32 characters DXYCP with 8x8 animated chars running each frame. 112x128 double buffered screen.
* EOR-fill 3D vector, also in double buffered 96x160 screen (this one is not running each frame though :lol: )
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Too late tonight for me.

I know what I will be doing Sunday morning. :oops:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

8) Awesome!
Be normal.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I only looked in VICE, but that was very NICE!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

That was awesome! Thank you! Now it should be put on youtube?
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Great one !
Sdw
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sdw »

YouTube link here (captured from real VIC-20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWzqZeSmHg
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Very good work, i'm wonder why so many demo coder in the scene do not join together to start a collaborative project...

For example a fantastic multiload game for the expanded vic...

A demo is a good thing to demonstrate machine/programers limits but you load it just once or two, a game it's forever...

Btw it's a my opinion of course, any objection are welcome.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I think one problem is that demo coding is something different to game programming, resource-wise. All the cool effects would leave no time for game logic or AI, I would assume.
Sdw
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sdw »

nbla000: Well for me at least, game coding (I have done my fair share of that as well!) includes much more boring parts than demo-coding.

With demos I can concentrate on the stuff I find most fun - cool graphical effects! When doing a game, having the cool graphical stuff in place means you're only like 25% done, then come the boring parts with user interaction, game logic etc. etc. Fixing all the bugs 'oh, the player did this and this and THAT, and that made the whole thing crash'. Bleh...

For example when I did Sycorax Episode 1 (a game for J2ME cellphones), it was sooo much fun in the beginning working with the graphics artist, getting the engine up and running (scrolling, sprite animations etc.). But then by the time I had put months upon months on the other stuff, I was really, really fed up with that game.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

YES! Denial finally makes the credits of a demo!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Wow, very nice demo! Respect!!
Our holy mission is doomed to succeed
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Top demo, mate. Could you share a little bit of info on how you created it, the tools you used and that sort of thing? It would make for some very interesting reading. Please and thank you.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Sdw wrote:With demos I can concentrate on the stuff I find most fun - cool graphical effects! When doing a game, having the cool graphical stuff in place means you're only like 25% done, then come the boring parts with user interaction, game logic etc. etc. Fixing all the bugs 'oh, the player did this and this and THAT, and that made the whole thing crash'. Bleh...
First of all, i respect all works, it's my style, it was just some thinking on why so many vic demo coders do not start a vic game project.

Yes i agree with you, there are a lot of boring things when you write a game but boring things for you maybe are exciting things for others.

To work in team give you some advantages, in our Tetris+ for example, i worked with Nippur72 that starts the initial project and collaborate in some graphics stuff and Carlsson for music and sound effects, i've done the "boring" work...
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED