Got a nice little VIC in the mail today.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

eslapion wrote:
Boray wrote:The two prong PSU here is much smaller than the c64 type PSU.
There are two types of 2 prong PSUs.
There are actually three types of N. American 2-prong power supplies that I know of.

The original all metal cased ones (with early VICs)
The large, black, retangular plastic ones with smoothed corners.
A very small plastic black "square" one that is totally sealed & cannot be opened like the other ones above.

I've been meaning to create a Denial WIKI article about all the power supplies available, with part numbers and pictures. I think I'll do that this week.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:There are actually three types of N. American 2-prong power supplies that I know of.

The original all metal cased ones (with early VICs)
The large, black, retangular plastic ones with smoothed corners.
A very small plastic black "square" one that is totally sealed & cannot be opened like the other ones above.
You are right. I forgot the second one you mentioned because this type of case was also used with early C64 PSUs with 9Vac/5Vdc output.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

The interesting thing is that the several of the N. American power supplies share the same part number, although they are made and look very different (I confirmed this last night while taking pictures of my power supplies for the WIKI).

I still need part numbers for European power 220v supplies (i.e. the biege cheese wedge one, and rectangular ones).

Unfortunately there is a problem with the WIKI at the moment. You can log in, but not edit any articles. So, as soon as BBELL is able to fix this I can put up the article.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Mayhem wrote:I've seen both biege and black brick power supplies here in the UK. I've got the beige one myself.
I stand corrected. But still, the cheese wedge type is much more common, at least up here in the dark, wet, windy north.

OTOH, is the European brick the same as the "black brick" American C64 users came to know and hate? You hear a lot about how often they failed and burned the C64 to a crisp; is that true for the European/UK version too?
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Okay, I made a DENIAL WIKI entry for VIC-20 power supplies.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... r_Supplies

I still need info on the UK/Europe/Australia Cheese-wedge power supply (Part No., specs, DIN or 2-prong?).

Please also correct the article if there is anything wrong. I don't know much about electronics, so I might have made a mistake.

Some of the info has been take from bbell's WikiVIC entry. Thanks!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

ral-clan wrote:Okay, I made a DENIAL WIKI entry for VIC-20 power supplies.

I still need info on the UK/Europe/Australia Cheese-wedge power supply (Part No., specs, DIN or 2-prong?).

Please also correct the article if there is anything wrong. I don't know much about electronics, so I might have made a mistake.

The picture of the black 220v PSU you have, I don't think it is a 220v PSU. It almost looks like it, but not the plugs. The plug for the outlet in your picture looks exactly as the ones you have there for 110v, and the plug for the vic does not look like that here. It's more edgy (can you say that) and there is a slot betwen the two poles.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

On top of my small black PSU, it says:

VC 20
C= Commodore
1001038-03
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

This man makes the best wiki pages!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Btw, Sorry for turning this thread into a PSU thread ;)
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

Don't be sorry. It's interesting, all this PSU stuff! :wink:

// Z
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:
ral-clan wrote:Okay, I made a DENIAL WIKI entry for VIC-20 power supplies.

The picture of the black 220v PSU you have, I don't think it is a 220v PSU. It almost looks like it, but not the plugs. The plug for the outlet in your picture looks exactly as the ones you have there for 110v, and the plug for the vic does not look like that here. It's more edgy (can you say that) and there is a slot betwen the two poles.
I suspected this was also a North American power supply (as it says it is made my NORTEL on it).

But it's strange that this power supply 902502-01 is EXACTLY like 902502-02 in appearance & construction, yet they have different part numbers (01 vs. 02 suffix).

I'll change the entry in the WIKI.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:On top of my small black PSU, it says:

VC 20
C= Commodore
1001038-03
2-prong version ? Plastic or metal case? Are the input/output values written on it anywhere? Thanks.

Can anyone tell me the part number for the beige cheese wedge type of power supply (and the input / output specs written on it)?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I will take some pictures for you
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:I will take some pictures for you
Thanks! I will add the pics to the WIKI. I just cleaned up the article a little bit.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have now sent the pictures to your yahoo address.