Behr-Bonz VIC-20 Multicart available

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

RobertBe wrote:
ral-clan wrote:I am pleased to announce that the THIRD VIC-20 multiple function cartridge - which I secretly developed all by myself last evening - is now ready for order and shipping!

It's called the "Flexi-Cart"...
You are the man!!! :-D Not only is the Flexi-Cart usable on the VIC-20, but it is adaptable (with just some trimming) to any and all Commodores. Truly, the Swiss Army knife of the C= world! :-D

What a product!
Robert Bernardo
Thank you....thank you. I must admit I really HAVE outdone myself this time.

I'll mark you down for two! :lol:
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

eslapion wrote:He too is an electrical engineer
Perhaps this is an error based on your mother tongue not being English.

The above statement (in the context of your discussion with Gideon) infers that you are an electrical engineer, which I believe is currently not the case.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

After studying the flexi-cart, I may develop a competing Flexi-cart of my own with fewer features but a lower price point...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Stinky wrote:Many of us in the C= community are also very interested in this innovative, modern design. It would have been neighbourly to have a public discussion for the sake of inspiration and purchaser information.
That's possible. However, it's my duty to make sure everything that's publicly disclosed is done so with the explicit permission of Gideon.

I must respect Gideon's decisions in this matter.

Gideon said it is his intention to make the design of the 1541Ultimate open source, once it is available to the public at large.
eslapion wrote:There are many C= hobbyists who are also electronics engineers, including me. Again, it would be neighbourly to share insights and information. The real innovation in Gideon's design is in the software and integration, more than the digital design in this case,

Please don't look down your nose at other members of the community, the people who support you by purchasing your products as encouragement.
I certainly hope nobody thinks I underestimate their abilities or talent. I had no clue that you are an electrical engineer. I want to make it clear I "look down" at nobody.

I had a particular interest for Gideon's creation strictly because there are solutions he applied to certain specific technical problems that are pretty close to the type of approach I favor and understand more easily. These, I wanted to use in my own design, in particular the low power REU.

Gideon could actually almost accuse me of having "spyed" on him but in fact he very generously answered very complex technical questions that were of critical importance to my LP REU.

I can't say anything about the software design in Gideon's creation, I know just about nothing of it and I am very lousy with software. I can, however, say that Gideon did create a VHDL IP to replicate the behavior of the 6502 processor which is accurate down to illegal opcodes.

To me, that's fairly impressive.

You may have noticed that in everything I made so far, I never designed the software part of it, if a software part is even needed.

The LP REU has no software part at all and neither does the Ultimate Expander. The Behr Bonz cart has a menu system that was designed by David_ alias Viande.
6502dude wrote:The above statement (in the context of your discussion with Gideon) infers that you are an electrical engineer, which I believe is currently not the case.
That is correct. I am an undergraduate.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

eslapion wrote:
Stinky wrote:Many of us in the C= community are also very interested in this innovative, modern design. It would have been neighbourly to have a public discussion for the sake of inspiration and purchaser information.
That's possible. However, it's my duty to make sure everything that's publicly disclosed is done so with the explicit permission of Gideon.
Eslapion, I believe we've had a communication breakdown through no person's fault. I make a public apology for appearing critical, I never intended for my opinion to be a personal attack on yourself or Gideon.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Here are the complete schematics and PCB layout for the Behr-Bonz multicart.

Somebody suggested I should sell the PCB alone and let people build this thing themselves if they want to.

I can sure do that. I would sell the PCB with no parts for 15$ a piece.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

First two units of the Behr Bonz Multicart were shipped today!

:D :D :D :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

no pics?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Pic:

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You didn't even put your name on the label. Now that is "bare bones"!
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Glenn Holmer posted this pic of the Behr-Bonz prototype --

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Hi Eslapion,
Looking the photo i don't see a reset button, does the user need to switch OFF/ON the vic to select another game from the Menu ?
btw very neat work, my compliments.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Looks cool!
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

@RobertBe:
Hey thanks for posting that! It IS the prototype of the Behr Bonz.

The Vector 3677 card on which it is built cost me 45$!

Maybe I should auction that board now.

@Jeff20:
My name is printed in the form of copper traces on the underside of the board.

@NBLA000:
That's correct. There is no reset button. Changing game requires turning the VIC off and on again.

A standard resetting of the VIC, if a user has a reset built into his VIC, will only send him back to the same game.

Thank you!

@Ral-Clan:
Thank you!
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

I like how the capacitors are straddling the chips 8)

I guess the next question is it a male or female capacitor?

Male=he'd be Tea-bagging the chip
Female=she'd be octo-pussing the chip

I know, I know, one track mind... :oops: :lol:

Eslapion...nice job man!