Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

hacky wrote:What is the exact problem ?
Do some games need a PAL fix / test ?

I can test, but I cannot fix them.
The problem is I only have VICE to test them, not a real PAL VIC.

If you can test them then I can fix (or replace) them.
Be normal.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

The Behr-Bonz cart worked flawlessly at MossyCon 4. However, our VIC-20 did not work flawlessly until we replaced its power supply with another one provided by Lord Ronin. :-)

Recovering from MossyCon 4,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/

P.S. Could not show off the Ultimate 32K Expander for the VIC-20, due to damage to one of its switches (ick, the hazards of packing things and moving them from place to place). A MossyConner took it and will try to fix it.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

I wrote: Could not show off the Ultimate 32K Expander for the VIC-20, due to damage to one of its switches (ick, the hazards of packing things and moving them from place to place). A MossyConner took it and will try to fix it.
Switch replacement successful (though messy). :-) The MossyConner is mailing it back to me now.

Stick with Mac, and
you'll never get back,
Robert Bernardo
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

RobertBe wrote:The Behr-Bonz cart worked flawlessly at MossyCon 4. However, our VIC-20 did not work flawlessly until we replaced its power supply with another one provided by Lord Ronin. :-)
:D
P.S. Could not show off the Ultimate 32K Expander for the VIC-20, due to damage to one of its switches (ick, the hazards of packing things and moving them from place to place). A MossyConner took it and will try to fix it.
:cry:
Switch replacement successful (though messy). The MossyConner is mailing it back to me now.
:D
dave01253
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dave01253 »

I can test your bare bones! I live in England, land of the PAL tv.
tearex
Vic 20 Newbie

Any news on PAL version?

Post by tearex »

Are there any news concerning the PAL version of Behr-Bonz? *drool*

Also, would it be possible to get the NTSC version with a socketed ROM (or simply with the ROM not soldered in so I could solder my own socket)? I'm aware that this probably prevents it from fitting inside a standard case but so what. This way it would be possible to insert a PAL ROM later when it arrives.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Any news on PAL version?

Post by eslapion »

tearex wrote:Are there any news concerning the PAL version of Behr-Bonz? *drool*
One week to go... see related thread in "Buy, Sell & Trade".
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

eslapion wrote:One week to go... see related thread in "Buy, Sell & Trade".
Excellent news! Right around payday. :-)

My European friends will
love the gift of Behr-Bonz,
Robert Bernardo
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

PAL version of Behr Bonz is now available!

See related thread in "Buy, Sell & Trade".
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

I wrote:My European friends will love the gift of Behr-Bonz...
At yesterday's Netherlands Commodore Show, I gave a PAL Behr-Bonz cart to Ron van Schaik, co-organizer of the show. He is a big gamer and will try out all the games on it.

I'll let you know what he thinks,
Robert Bernardo
CommVEx v4 website - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

My Behr Bonz multi-cart and Ultimate Expander arrived today. :D

I'd have to say that I'm very impressed. I only got to have a quick play with them, but they're great. I went for the EasyLoad ROM option for the UE, and it works great. I need to learn how to use it, but it streamlines a whole lot of operations.

And the Behr Bonz multi-cart...I don't have to adjust the screens of the games...they're all set for PAL. Great.

Since I was not an original VIC-20 owner, I don't know many of the games, and it's going to take me a while to get through them all. I think I'll need a reset button on my machine also. But then I had planned on fitting one of those anyway.

Thanks Eslapion.

Cheers
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

hawk wrote: I went for the EasyLoad ROM option for the UE, and it works great. I need to learn how to use it, but it streamlines a whole lot of operations.
Good choice look on my EasyLoad+ page for further infos.

And the Behr Bonz multi-cart...I don't have to adjust the screens of the games...they're all set for PAL. Great.
Sure ? even for Donkey Kong, Raid on fort knox etc ? i think you need to use cursors keys for these games.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

hawk wrote:I think I'll need a reset button on my machine also. But then I had planned on fitting one of those anyway.
I think that a reset button will just restart the VIC-20 with the last game you had loaded in via the Behr-Bonz because it is just like having a cartridge inserted into your VIC-20. I may be wrong though...
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

gklinger wrote:I think that a reset button will just restart the VIC-20 with the last game you had loaded in via the Behr-Bonz because it is just like having a cartridge inserted into your VIC-20. I may be wrong though...
You are correct.

To prevent games from altering the ROM window value, the selected window is locked once selected until there's a new power-up.

This way, games that write useless values into the IO registers will not cause sudden game changes and unwanted resets.

Resetting your VIC will not send you to the menu, it will simply restart the same game. Selecting another game requires a complete power-off/power-on.
Be normal.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

nbla000 wrote:
Sure ? even for Donkey Kong, Raid on fort knox etc ? i think you need to use cursors keys for these games.
I have adjusted these for PAL screens.

No need to use the cursor keys on these games.
Be normal.